Freshly Glazed Window

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dpgoalie

May 27, 2009
NH
all,

A few years ago I said I was going to rebuild all of my old windows. Well, other projects have deterred me from this. The other day, one of my dogs went through one of the windows so I glazed a freshly sanded and primed 200 year old single pane window with DAP ‘33’. The instructions and everything else that I have read said to not apply under 40 degrees. Well, it's well under 40 degrees out, can I still hang the window or do I have to wait for it to cure?

Thanks

im not familiar with the dap product you used but i would follow the instruction . hope the cure time isnt to long. if its a putty and you used glazing points it may hold but you risk the chance of it not holding long term. with those windows i used to replace them with laminated glass. its great to be able to diy when it comes to glass. been years scince i worked in the trade but it sure comes in handy to do it your self and you can take the time to restore it correctly. good luck and keep warm. pete

I did use points, a few more than I needed. I'm not sure whether they mean that that the glaze won't be able to be worked right under 40 degrees or whether it won't cure correctly. I'm just curious as to whether the cold will cause the glaze to crack or if it will just take longer to cure.

Quite a draft coming in.

Sitting wondering whether to throw the window in, or plastic.

I don't mind redoing the window if it holds up until spring.

The cure time is 7 to 14 days

I used to make wood windows professionally. Dap 33 is the correct stuff to use for glazing. I've never had to glaze a window below 40 degrees so I'm not sure if the glazing will fail or not. But, my guess is that the glazing compound will just be harder to work at the lower temperature but that the job will last. If you can, do the glazing inside or, at least, warm the compound with your hands inside the house. You should also re-prime the grove that the glass will go in. Otherwise, the raw wood will absorb all of the oil in the compound. Also, allow the glazing compound to cure at least a few months before painting. Good luck.

ChipTam

Yup, that stuff will take a few months to fully cure. Don't paint it yet (although, paint is gonna say not to use it if the temps will fall below 50F for the next 24 hours or so).

If the stuff ends up not setting up right because it's too cold, you can redo it when the weather warms up.

-SF

I've had to replace a lite of glass in a door broken to gain access.
It took a long time to skin up - but I wasn't going to paint it for a long time anyway.

It's been a few weeks noe, and the cold hasn't effected the glaze in any way accept a lengthened cure time.

I reglazed all 192 panes at my house two or three years ago. I'll replace entire Windows next time :coolsmirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.