1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Friendly Public Service Reminder

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by CT-Mike, Mar 22, 2013.

1. CT-Mike

CT-Mike Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New England
    I got tired of having portable CO detectors to supplement the smoke detectors in the house, so I decided to replace the smokes with combo smoke/CO detectors.

In the process of doing this, I was reminded that detectors have a life span of typically 10 years. Since ours are 12 years old (when we built the house), it was past time to replace them.

Please check how old your detectors are and replace if necessary.
    Pallet Pete and loon like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. maverick06

maverick06 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    media, pa
    and if you are going to replace the smoke detectors, I would suggest looking into the dual detector units, photo and ionization. especially with the wood stoves, the photo detectors are important!
  3. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    But there are no Photo/Ion/CO combos, alas.
  4. CT-Mike

CT-Mike Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New England
    Sadly that seems to be true, but I feel that the smoke/CO combo that is available is better than a smoke only.
  5. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    And most CO detectors should be replaced every 3-7 years . . . depending on the manufacturer. A lot of folks don't know this.
  6. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Our new hard-wired (with battery backup, of course) dual CO/smoke detectors stated to replace 7 years after install. In fact, they have a "feature," where they'll start incessantly beeping 7 years after the battery is first installed, something guaranteed to piss me off 6-1/2 years from now.

Edit: damn... FFJake types faster than me.
  7. nate379

nate379 Guest

My CO detector kept going off for no reason so I took it down. Still sitting on the counter in the kitchen without battery :)

For a while the darn smoke alarms were so sensitive I could barely boil a kettle of water on teh stove without them going off _g.... About a month ago the stove backdrafted when I was in the garage. Came in the house and it was a fog of smoke. Never went off. Frigging junk!
  8. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Could depend on the type of detector and the type of smoke (or steam in the one case) . . . Dateline just did a story on this yesterday . . . something that is pretty well known in fire prevention . . . ionization detectors (the most commonly found smoke detector) detect a fire that is typically associated with a fast, flaming fire whereas photo-electric detectors best detect fires associated with slow, smoldering fires. In theory either type offers adequate protection . . . in reality what I recommend and most other experts recommend is a combo unit or some of each type in the home to offer the best detection.
    bag of hammers and Jags like this.
  9. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I've noticed more spider false alarms with the photoelectrics.