Friendly Reminder - Clean your ESP & place your room probe 5 feet above the floor for Optimum heat!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

The ESP probe (Exhaust Sensory Probe on a Harman Wood pellet Stove) relays the exhaust temp back to the control panel. A clean ESP probe can do that much more accurately. Just remove the bolt, pull out the probe and wipe with alcohol and clean any rust or corrosion with emory cloth.

The Harman DVD states to raise the room probe end to 5 feet above the floor to correctly read the room temperature. I changed mine and it really does make the temp dial much more accurate!

See pics below:
The old standard is the black probe, the new red probe is low voltage.
Dip switch 5 on the circuit board is down for black and up for red.

Attachments

• ESPprobe (1).JPG
    ESPprobe (1).JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 242
  • DirtyESP.JPG
    DirtyESP.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 223
  • CleanESP.JPG
    CleanESP.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 198
  • Harman Room Probe (8).JPG
    Harman Room Probe (8).JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 237
Hello

The ESP probe (Exhaust Sensory Probe on a Harman Wood pellet Stove) relays the exhaust temp back to the control panel. A clean ESP probe can do that much more accurately. Just remove the bolt, pull out the probe and wipe with alcohol and clean any rust or corrosion with emory cloth.

The Harman DVD states to raise the room probe end to 5 feet above the floor to correctly read the room temperature. I changed mine and it really does make the temp dial much more accurate!

See pics below:
The old standard is the black probe, the new red probe is low voltage.
Dip switch 5 on the circuit board is down for black and up for red.
are you talking about the long black wire[2 leads] behind the stove?

are you talking about the long black wire[2 leads] behind the stove?

Yes, the ROOM probe on the older stoves was gray, but the newer stoves it is black. It cannot measure the room temperature properly if the end is lying on the floor. The end of the wire needs to be 5 feet off the floor to work properly.

Attachments

• Harman Room Probe (2).JPG
    Harman Room Probe (2).JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 204
  • Harman Room Probe (1).JPG
    Harman Room Probe (1).JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Yes, the ROOM probe on the older stoves was gray, but the newer stoves it is black. It cannot measure the room temperature properly if the end is lying on the floor. The end of the wire needs to be 5 feet off the floor to work proberly.
well, my P61A is only couple months old. that said,
how do u take it apart or, clean it.. looks like all rubber coating to me.

It is me again with the beginner question. Where is the esp located?

I really appreciate the helpful posts and am actually learning some stuff but sometimes I just cannot visualize it.

Thanks

well, my P61A is only couple months old. that said,
how do u take it apart or, clean it.. looks like all rubber coating to me.

No you do not need to clean the black ROOM probe on the back of the P61a.
The end of this wire needs to be 5 feet off the floor.

You need to clean the ESP probe that goes into the Exhaust pipe inside the back of the P61a
This looks like a big Needle with a black wire coming out of it.
It is a Red wire on some of the new stoves.

To do this:
1. Remove the lower right back panel.
Loosen the two screws going into the back of the fire box in the rear of the stove. See pic 1.
Remove the top screw going into the back right side of the stove. See pic 2
Slide the panel out.

2. Now you will see the bolt that holds the ESP probe into the round exhaust pipe. See pic 3

3. To get more room to remove the ESP probe
Remove the lower skirt flange by loosening the bolts on each side.
Pull the flange down and then pull the tabs out of the slots in the back panel of the stove.
See your manual too.

Click on pics below to enlarge:

Attachments

• ESPAccess (1).JPG
    ESPAccess (1).JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 196
  • ESPAccess (2).JPG
    ESPAccess (2).JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 204
  • ESPAccess (3).JPG
    ESPAccess (3).JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 208
No you do not need to clean the black ROOM probe on the back of the P61a.
The end of this wire needs to be 5 feet off the floor.

You need to clean the ESP probe that goes into the Exhaust pipe inside the back of the P61a
This looks like a big Needle with a black wire coming out of it.
It is a Red wire on some of the new stoves.

To do this:
1. Remove the lower right back panel.
Loosen the two screws going into the back of the fire box in the rear of the stove. See pic 1.
Remove the top screw going into the back right side of the stove. See pic 2
Slide the panel out.

2. Now you will see the bolt that holds the ESP probe into the round exhaust pipe. See pic 3

3. To get more room to remove the ESP probe
Remove the lower skirt flange by loosening the bolts on each side.
Pull the flange down and then pull the tabs out of the slots in the back panel of the stove.
See your manual too.

Click on pics below to enlarge:
ok..
and how often should this be done?

Reactions: jackhammer
ok..
and how often should this be done?

The ESP probe should be cleaned once a year with all the other yearly maintenance

The ESP probe should be cleaned once a year with all the other yearly maintenance
ok.. thanks for the info.
btw:
since we have the same stove , let me ask u the age old question:
I think more pellets get used in _________ mode than _______ mode and my reason is______

ok.. thanks for the info.
btw:
since we have the same stove , let me ask u the age old question:
I think more pellets get used in _________ mode than _______ mode and my reason is______

I think more pellets get used in Stove Temp mode than Room Temp Mode because it runs constantly at the same feed rate giving more heat than what is really needed!
When running in Stove Temp mode, I also have to keep adjusting the heat setting as the outside temp changes.

In Room Temp mode with the Room Probe at the proper height, the stove ramps the feed rate down to provide the minimum burn rate to acheive the heat output needed.

In my case, since I setup the remote room probe, the livingroom stays at a constant 72 degrees and the bare minimum amout of pellets are burned to keep this tempearture.
Please see my post.
Harman P61a Cellar Dweller pumping up the heat with a remote room probe! --- Success at Last!
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/harman-p61a-cellar-dweller-pumping-up-the-heat-with-a-remote-room-probe-success.120545/

I think more pellets get used in Stove Temp mode than Room Temp Mode because it runs constantly at the same feed rate giving more heat than what is really needed!
When running in Stove Temp mode, I also have to keep adjusting the heat setting as the outside temp changes.

In Room Temp mode with the Room Probe at the proper height, the stove ramps the feed rate down to provide the minimum burn rate to acheive the heat output needed.

In my case, since I setup the remote room probe, the livingroom stays at a constant 72 degrees and the bare minimum amout of pellets are burned to keep this tempearture.
Please see my post.
Harman P61a Cellar Dweller pumping up the heat with a remote room probe! --- Success at Last!
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/harman-p61a-cellar-dweller-pumping-up-the-heat-with-a-remote-room-probe-success.120545/
nice setup you have there...
our unit is in the dinning room corner...facing other rooms.
like to push the blower speed past half way but afraid I will use more pellets than already do.
yes, I agree about room temp...but, high flame/small flame/ no flame.. sometimes that get's annoying..

Please see my post.
Very good explanation Don

Please see my post.

Agreed Don, exactly my thought. Stove temp for me is either hot or hotter. No comfort zone. Room temp manual for me.

nice setup you have there...
our unit is in the dinning room corner...facing other rooms.
like to push the blower speed past half way but afraid I will use more pellets than already do.
yes, I agree about room temp...but, high flame/small flame/ no flame.. sometimes that get's annoying..

Tonyray,

You are now officially suffering from new stove-itis!! You've been soaking up every bit of info you can from us in the past two weeks and now (in my opinion only;)) you are going into information overload.....sit back and smell the roses and try different things that you think work for YOU. You aren't going to figure it out in a couple of weeks. It may and likely will take a whole season.
If the high flame/low flame/no flame annoys you then just run Room Temp with the switch on manual and the fire will never go out.

Tonyray,

You are now officially suffering from new stove-itis!! You've been soaking up every bit of info you can from us in the past two weeks and now (in my opinion only;)) you are going into information overload.....sit back and smell the roses and try different things that you think work for YOU. You aren't going to figure it out in a couple of weeks. It may and likely will take a whole season.
If the high flame/low flame/no flame annoys you then just run Room Temp with the switch on manual and the fire will never go out.
Wondered when some one was gonna suggest I should hit the brakes for a while..lol
started a lot of threads with questions, questions, questions, etc...I'm a research fanatic about everything I buy or bought. regular damn Bird Dog my wife sez..
One good thing along with other info I absorbed here:
[although I got a free ton of Energex at stove sale,] I did just come back from HD with couple bags of Stove Chow since I read here that Energex rebags the Chows at lower price.?
I have burned about 40 bags so I can do a comparison..read some negative too about Chows but 2 bags ain't gonna break the bank.
..see, I do listen and so I shall go outside and smell the pellets VIA Exhaust. Beautiful day here in Eastern Pa.
great Forum btw...

Last edited:
Don't spend too much time sniffing the tailpipe.....you might get lightheaded!!!

It is a great forum and we are glad to have you here.

Status
Not open for further replies.