Frigid temps and frozen pipes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dodged a bullet tonight, despite having my pipes wrapped with electric tape and running the furnace to keep my crawl space warm I woke up at 2am and had a feeling that made me try the kitchen faucet, my gut ached when there was no cold water. The temperature in my crawl space was down to 49 (it normally stays at 56-59 without running the furnace just the stoves). I cranked the furnace up 4 degrees and pulled out an electric heater, 45 minutes later it's 62 in the crawl space and the cold water is running fine without any visible leaks downstairs. I guess -7 is a little too cold to not keep the water running at a trickle at least.

Dodged a bullet tonight, despite having my pipes wrapped with electric tape and running the furnace to keep my crawl space warm I woke up at 2am and had a feeling that made me try the kitchen faucet, my gut ached when there was no cold water. The temperature in my crawl space was down to 49 (it normally stays at 56-59 without running the furnace just the stoves). I cranked the furnace up 4 degrees and pulled out an electric heater, 45 minutes later it's 62 in the crawl space and the cold water is running fine without any visible leaks downstairs. I guess -7 is a little too cold to not keep the water running at a trickle at least.
Got up a little early myself to check my kitchen an downstairs bath for the same reason. All is well with the preps I took. -7 here on the north shore of Boston as well. I know that they are many others on this forum that get much much colder so I feel relatively lucky.

My basement will stay above 50F from the main floor heat. It has been -20 to -30 many nights this winter and it is forecasted to be -40 on Sunday night, -16 for a high on Monday. The septic pipes are the biggest worry so I put straw on the ground above the pipe and hope for enough snow cover which we do have this winter to keep it from freezing. They get $250 up here to steam out your pipes if they freeze up on ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.