Froling Error: Primary Air Damper Blocked

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Marshy

Minister of Fire
Dec 29, 2016
NY
I received error 02 "Primary Air Damper Blocked" a couple of times over the last couple days. Any Froling users experience this?

I'll post the page from the manual on the trouble shooting section but, essentially it can be from a bad cable, miscommunication or position mismatch >5%.

I verified no damage to the cable and good plug connection. Also verified no physical blockage or excessive restriction to the damper.

I went into service mode to Analog Outputs and told the primary damper to move to 0% (closed) and the damper will not close more than 40%. I input a demand of like 35% and it moves to 45%... I demand 100% and it will move open but stops at about 58%. Demand 0% and it won't go lower than 40%.

I tried the same thing with the secondary and it goes to whatever I tell it to.

I think this points towards the positioner malfunction but unsure how else to troubleshoot these. Any input is appreciated.

Last edited:
Ok, I called Tarm Biomass and learned a little more about the boiler controls. Apparently then you use the moisture setting (<15%) the primary damper range of motion is limited (appears to be 40-60% total). Once I put the moisture setting back to >15% I was able to get the actuator to move properly through the whole range.

I'm going to leave it with the >15% moisture setting and see if the error comes back. So far it seems random/intermittent and I cannot get it to repeat when controlling the positioner manually. It could be something internal to the positioner, whatever they use a feedback mechanism (reluctor wheel maybe?).

Reactions: sloeffle
I believe the primary and secondary are the same actuator. If it were me and everything seemed mechanically ok I would try swapping the primary and secondary actuator. If different just take note of the hard stops of each. If the problem moves to the secondary then you may have a failing actuator.

I believe the primary and secondary are the same actuator. If it were me and everything seemed mechanically ok I would try swapping the primary and secondary actuator. If different just take note of the hard stops of each. If the problem moves to the secondary then you may have a failing actuator.
This would be my approach as well. I've never seen this error so no experience with that. I cant see why choosing the <15% moisture content would cause the error though.

So when you choose the >15% MC can you then stroke the actuator 0 to 100% manually in the AO control of the damper?