from a newbie....harman how hot for a surface temp?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buffresources

Mar 3, 2014
sw missouri
Our Harman in the basement was running about 68 degrees on temp setting and room temp set on low. Since I'm new to this I placed my hand on the top of the stove 162 degrees f...not too bad but when I put my hand on the side 315 degrees!!! yes dummy got a blister!

So my question is this about normal? If so maybe I need to put some barricades around for the kids...if one accidently fell against it...wow!!

Thanks in advance

Yes it's a hot bodied stove. One of the few that can actually radiate heat and can go to idle and not need to run the convection fan.

Sounds about right. I've had mine to 500 deg F on the top when she was cranking on high for a good long time.

They get very hot - so hot that they have a huge side clearance to combustibles unless you get the side shields (and even then it is usually higher than most stoves). I would get a screen for the kiddo's if I were you.

Guess no one needs to tell you not to tough the glass now. Better you then the kids with blistered hands. They can and do get very hot on the top and sides which is a big reason I picked the Harmans for the radiant heat output also.

I have my P68 set at 5 just above 75 on the temp dial. I just shot it with the IR gun and the sides are 602* F and the top center is reading 299.3 F. It is a cold day here so the stove is burning hot. I'd say that would blister some fingers.

hey Buff,
I have the exra side shields on my Harman due to shorter distance on both sides from curtains and combustible walls..[aren't they all?]
anyways, plenty ass hot to the touch so I would get a screen instead.

Attachments

• IMG_1738.JPG
    IMG_1738.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 177
I have the sidesheilds on the P68 in my shop too, they help keep my air compressor tank cooler (13" clearance) and avoid extra water in the tank. Like Tonyray said they definately do not make it safe to touch though.

Status
Not open for further replies.