From pellets to corn in a Englander Stove ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlh756

Feb 27, 2009
West central Ohio
Does any one out there have any experience burning corn in an England's Stove Works (Summers Heat) Model 10-CPM Multi-Fuel stove. This is my first year burning pellets and I'm thinking of trying corn.

Corn is more corrosive make sure your exhaust pipe is rated for corn. Corn also is a much dirtier burn than pellets, corn leaves clinkers in the pot and they have to be removed each day. I use a 70/30 mix of corn and pellets with pellets at 70%. Your stove is rated to burn corn so i say why not!!!

if corn rated pipe was used in the install you should have no problem burning it in that unit , its a multifuel stove designed to burn pellets corn and other biomass such as cherry pits. before you load corn though , look in the manual and find the chapter on setting the unit for different fuels, you must set the unit in mode 5 to burn corn ,and ensure your corn fuel is cleaned (no stalk and other debris if purchased from a feed elevator) before use and that its below 14% moisture, if its above 14% add some crushed oyster shell to help clean up the burn. stove does a great job with corn, be advised though with corn its a bit slower lighting due to the nature of the fuel so if it looks like its struggling when it is started , bear with it for a bit , corn takes more thermal energy to light off and get going.

Status
Not open for further replies.