1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

From wood splitter to splitting by hand

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by westkywood, Mar 7, 2013.

1. lopiliberty

lopiliberty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mineral County, WV
    Holy cow don't leave any of that red oak behind. It would be a shame for it to get pushed in the woods to rot. It may take three years to dry but when its dry there is nothing better. Hurricane sandy knocked down at least 3 to 5 red oaks where I cut and I have already gotten two of them. Easiest stuff in the world to split by hand till you get down close to the butt of the tree then it gets a little harder. Running out of room is no excuse ==c I to am running out of room, but I can guarantee you that I will find room to stack that wonderful red oak
    Woody Stover likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Redlegs

Redlegs Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern Kansas
    ...and wisdom. :>)
    Hand splitting is fine. Its honest work in the outdoors and I bet most of us here like that. That said...hydros have their place, and I can appreciate that.
  3. Redlegs

Redlegs Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern Kansas
    Hey wait a minute...I just skimmed this thread but I don't believe anyone here has called for picts of this supposed red oak job. Whats going on here?;)
    guy01 and Woody Stover like this.
  4. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Ah, that explains why I don't not do it...I've never been mistaken for Solomon. I'm just a wise-arse. ==c
    Yeah...could be green Oak for all we know. ==c
    Redlegs likes this.