Front clearance question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archer39

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2009
Pottstown PA
I am looking to install a blaze king Princess and after taking measurements it looks like i will have 8.75" of hearth left in front of the door. The manual says I need 16" clearance in front. So that would mean I would have 7.25 to the edge of the hearth shelf. The flooring is carpet in front of the hearth. Do I need to remove the carpet or can I use a hearth pad?

technically it would need to be one sold piece so hot coals could not fall between the hearth and the extensions. most of the time this would mean you would need to secure the extension to the floor so it could not move.

Not the same situation because I do not have carpet but when I went from a side loading thinner front to back stove to a deeper front loading model I needed to add something to increase front clearance/floor protection. I cut out the wood floor, and added tile over dura rock. This kept the floor essentially level so the hearth did not eat up to much room space and avoided creating a nasty toe stubber sticking out into a dark room. Just an idea. Tile installs low enough to be on level with the carpet so a vacuum can roll right across.

Attachments

• finished stove 014.JPG
    finished stove 014.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: webby3650
Thanks for the help. Does it make a difference that this is a raised hearth/previous fire place? There is about 12" of height from the carpet to the hearth flat surface.

You can use a hearthpad. They make shallow ones for this purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.