front glass for breckwell p2000- tempered?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

STANG32

Aug 18, 2010
CT
I am in need of a new glass due to severe fogging. I have tried everything i can think of to clean it. i talked to the glass shop & they say if it is tempered it will have an identifying mark on it, which i do not see.
cna i just replace this w/regular 1/4" glass?>

I am in need of a new glass due to severe fogging. I have tried everything i can think of to clean it. i talked to the glass shop & they say if it is tempered it will have an identifying mark on it, which i do not see.
cna i just replace this w/regular 1/4" glass?>

That only applies to automotive and residential shatterproof material.

Go to your local auto glass places, take the glass with you and tell them it's for a wood / pellet stove, they will have glass on hand that is of the same material, you got to tell them it must be the ceramic glass for high heat.

I got a replacement cut to size for my PDVC last year at my local auto glass center, and it was cheaper than buying from the stove co.

It is a high temp ceramic glass. It will be either Pyroceram or Neoceram. As far as I know Breckwell doesn't use Schott Nextrema glass in their units. In any case it is going to be a clear ceramic glass rated to 1300 degrees or so. Using tempered glass is a bad idea, using regular glass is a suicidal idea.

157 bucks for a 10x18 pieces of glass, holy crap. I want to get rid of the fog on my front panel but that's ridiculous.

Oh well, guess you'll live with it. You'll have a foggy fire......lol;lol

I had to replace the side glass (the little one) because my door hinges fell out and the door hit my hearth. I have since replaced the pins that Breckwell provides with bolts/nuts to ensure I don't have a repeat. I purchased the replacement glass from vonderhaar dot com for $58, which is cheaper than the $85 Breckwell wants. It showed up in OEM packaging and matches the old glass tint perfectly, granted the old glass wasn't 1 year old yet.

Are you sure it doesn't just need to be cleaned. I use a product that I found for my fireplace glass. It's called Woodstove Glass Cleaner by a company called Meeco. It's by far the best cleaner I've ever used. My fireplace doors would get creosote on them. I would just spray a little on a paper towel and a little on the glass and instantly clean. What used to take an hour or more could be done in minutes. I use it now and again on my Harman glass when the weather is really cold and I'm burning constantly for days at a time. Let the stove cool and spray a little on the paper towel, wipe the glass clean in a couple of seconds.
Ron

Reactions: Arti
Status
Not open for further replies.