Front hearth protection shape

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsil

Dec 25, 2007
western maine
Building my hearth, and noticed most pads have the front corners cut off. How does this afferct the 18" from front of stove rule? Is it measured using only the width of the stove forward? Thanks, Doug

Probably depends on the specs for the particular stove, should be in the manual. My stove only requires 16" from the front the width of the stove and 8" on the sides so you could cut the corners off.. There is still some debate about stoves listed for 16" vs the new 18 law.

I agree with your interpretation. The front clearance is only in front of the stove and the side is the side. The triangle that is created between the two must be protected and I believe you can just connect the two projected clearances and make an angle or curve. Nothing special about a 45 degree angle except it is easier to cut tile that way. I chose to leave the corners fully square and got a larger hearth out of the deal. No cutting tile either. We use that front corner for all kinds of stacking and cleaning functions. I would say that the corner that you are considering cutting off is our most used piece of hearth real estate.

Attachments

• stoveroom.jpg
    stoveroom.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 249
Thanks! After laying out the stove dimensions, the "extra hearth" area does not appear as large, and hardly seems worth the trouble as far as tile cutting goes. And your 1000 uses for that space makes good sense. -Doug

The biggest reason it gets used so much, the corner, is that the side door is right there and opens to the left. We always reload from the side door and are right handed so it makes sense to set the wood on that corner and load. With the ash buildup emptying chores I scoop from the front door and the taller bucket needs to set off to the side of the door swing path. Basically both doors open towards that corner. Oh and we use the hearth as the sort of off-limits to kids boundary so a little bigger is good.

The only bugger is that the front corners could be awfully hard on the skull if you were to fall on one.

Status
Not open for further replies.