Front intake manifold blocked

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albertj03

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2009
Southern Maine
I think the left side of the intake manifold in the front of my PE Super 27 is blocked. When I'm lighting the stove or getting a fresh load going the right side takes off no problem but the left side sits for a while before it takes well. tomorrow morning before I light the stove I'm going to take the cover plate off and I was wondering what the best way would be to unblock it. Should I try to vacuum the area out (I know I could vacuum up hot coals so this least desired) or should try to spray some compressed air into the holes once I remove the plate? Maybe I'll be lucky and just have some ash built up behind the plate and nothing in the hole where the air comes out.

Compressed air will work but comes with a warning. Those ashes can really fly around, so short bursts are in order. It sort of depends upon the stove too. We once had a stove that we regularly had to take a brush, fasten a long stick on it and clean out the airways that way. It was a pain but had to be done every so often. You do whatever is necessary.

I think this sort of thing is quite commonplace - you're more observant than most. My Quad developed this problem within a few weeks of burning in it.

Either the left channel is blocked, or the airwash gap on the right side is larger. If I had to guess, I'd say it is probably the latter. That's the hottest uninsulated place in the firebox, so it's no surprise that dimensional changes occur there. Use feeler gauges to measure the gap on each side of center, the gap should be the same on each side.

Hopefully I'll have it cleared up tomorrow morning. I'm leaning towards the blockage because it wasn't like this when I first got it. Adds time to the start up process as only one side is lit for a while before the other is. Can't afford to spend anymore time messing with the stove than I already do.

When the stove is cool, pull out the boost manifold. It's an L-shaped piece of metal that defines the bottom front edge of the firebox. It should lift right out, but pay attention so that you put it back the same way. Then vacuum out all ash that has accumulated behind this plate, replace it and see if that helps.

Also, before relighting the stove, do a dollar bill test on the door to confirm that it is not leaking air on the hinge (right) side where the burn appears strongest.

Status
Not open for further replies.