Front-to-back lighting technique

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dreezon

Aug 7, 2009
Peoria, IL
After learning about and trying the top-down method, I modified it. I stack the wood higher in the back and lower in the front. Then I put some paper in front an some kindling on top of that. This way, the flames get swept across the splits toward the outlet in back. Usually works well for me. Anyone else do this? Is there some disadvantage I'm not seeing? Seems like a good hybrid approach, I think.

Sounds like you need to approach BeGreen on the "tunnel of love" method :coolsmile: . Same kind of concept with the exception that the flame travels under the wood. I believe that this yields a flame contact pattern that accelerates the startup.

Jags said:
Sounds like you need to approach BeGreen on the "tunnel of love" method :coolsmile: .

I think we need to go back to calling that a "cave burn".

dreezon said:
After learning about and trying the top-down method, I modified it. I stack the wood higher in the back and lower in the front. Then I put some paper in front an some kindling on top of that. This way, the flames get swept across the splits toward the outlet in back. Usually works well for me. Anyone else do this? Is there some disadvantage I'm not seeing? Seems like a good hybrid approach, I think.

I tend to stack the wood higher in the back than the front . . . but for another reason . . . keeps wood from rolling up against my glass and dirtying up the glass . . . at least for a while.

I do a similar, modified top down on cold starts... Big splits on bottom, smaller spits on top of that, then paper or super cedar or fatwood ( your choice) then kindling, splitter scraps. Paper lights scraps and kindling which fall to splits. Just a minor modification to the top down that works for me.

If it works well, don't try to fix it; just keep doing what you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.