Frontline flea killer stuff for cats

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I found a couple fleas on my cat. I was surprised as usually fleas on a pet meant fleas occasionally jumped on me, but I've never had a flea jump on me all Summer/Fall. The cat has been scratching more than usual lately so I put a correct dose of the Frontline Flea killer stuff on it 2 days ago. It is supposed to kill 100% of fleas within 12 hours, but 2 days later I see one? I suspect there are more.

So what is the deal? I know they can jump back on from the carpet (and should die shortly thereafter) but I don't think we have many in the carpet because they never ever jump on me. I spend a lot of time sitting/laying on the floor and just do not see them on me.

So does this stuff take longer than they advertise to work?

Fleas should die within 24 hours of coming in contact with the Frontline.
The likely problem is that all you are seeing are the adult fleas- 95% of your flea population exists as either eggs or larvae in the carpet. Only after they turn into adults will you see them, and how long that takes depends on the temperature. So you can have some hatch, jump on the cat and die. Tomorrow more hatch, then more the next day etc.
If you have a sizeable infestation I would get to work on the premesis as well as the cat.
Strong vacuuming and discarding the bag, using a borax based powder product on the carpet and so on.
They will die, but doing it your way means you have to wait them out as far as hatching first, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.