Frosty Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SFCJames

Nov 21, 2015
Southeast MA
Mighty cold here in southeastern MA. Woke up to a frosty oak this morning. Anyone else having this issue?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 153
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 163
Reactions: bogieb
with these temps mine would frost up with the Englander and the Serenity but it's not frosted with the Ravelli I would think because it don't need to pull as much air.

I had the same problem until I insulated it.

38231d03c8ec20428577df84aed4681b.jpg

about 8" or so of frost from inside wall down the pipe. Pretty cold with wind chills here in E Pa somewhere around -20 last night. Still in the low single digits outside now. Stove has been on non stop for the last 4 days. Expecting temps in the upper 40's middle of the week....crazy weather.

Here is the P43's OAK this morning

frosty%20oak_zps3uphraob.jpg

Yep, that whole thing, until it hits a piece of insulation wrapped at the junction from 2.25" to 3" - (will correct that next year) is frost from the -21* air going thru.

I have the OAK for the P61a insulated for the first 12-16" and nothing below that shows frost. Don't know if there is frost underneath and not curious enough to find out.

I didn't think mine was frosty, until I touched it! Just a little, not bad. Currently 3.6* outside.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 120
Reactions: bogieb
I didn't think mine was frosty, until I touched it! Just a little, not bad. Currently 3.6* outside.
Can see the frost fairly clearly in the picture.

Reactions: jackhammer
Status
Not open for further replies.