Frozen Paint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here know if latex paint that has been frozen can be remixed and used? Or is it now trash? I would rather buy new paint and not have to repaint because it did not work out.

I really hate painting, so if anyone wants to come here and do it for me that would be nice. >:-(

Latex paint is a so-called "emulsion," a mixture of solids and fluids in a suspension. Other examples are white glue. In contrast, corn syrup is not an emulsion, it is a "solution" of sugar in water.

When latex paint is frozen, the various solids separate out, and cannot be put back together again. The result won't perform well at all, if it even can be painted on a wall.

Tried some after it froze, it was garbage. don't waste your time and buy some new paint.

Don't even waste your time taking the cover off it !!!

Paint that has frozen will have little chunks or have seperated or will even show cracks in the solid part.

Some paints contain glycol (antifreeze) and will freeze at a lower temperature. If the paint mixes smooth, no solid bits, I use it. I've never seen possibly frozen paint that mixes smooth that doesn't hold up.

Status
Not open for further replies.