frustrated beyond belief...my combustion motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was working in the stove shop tonight on a trouble stove (no not for the combustion blower, it is an electrical/programming gremlin) and thought of this post, so i hit the comb. blower with my IR gun and after maybe 15-20 min roughly of running on high the motor frame was about 150 F. It is a month old harman advance.

Reactions: alternativeheat
Update:
Turned off the stove today and let everything cool down....with everything cool I checked the combustion motor....runs hot even with no fire going....also checked the voltage going to the motor...exactly 120v...so it's not getting to much voltage.......
so I am assuming these motors just run hot !
The motor is a Gleason Avery so it should be a good motor...

I just checked mine. The fire has been out for about 12 hours. I turned the control panel on and turned the draft fan to it's high setting for a couple of minutes. The motor got pretty warm to the touch. Not hot enough to burn but well over 100::F. I also checked the amperage. It's getting about half an amp which is what the sticker on the motor indicates. High voltage probably wouldn't be an issue unless your control board steps the voltage down or converts it to DC before sending to the motor. High amperage could be caused by a short (bare wire, something making contact between circuit board terminals). Unplug your stove and follow the wires from the fan to the control board. Make sure they are connected properly. Make sure the insulation on the wire isn't cut or chafed anywhere. Blow the dust and crud out of the control board.
Make sure any insulation inside the stove is in place where it was, and you haven't added any where it shouldn't be. Make sure there isn't a blockage in the chimney. Make sure your heat exchanger is working (putting out heat).
That's all the stuff I can think of at the moment...

Thankyou bob, I would say there isn't an issue with the temp of the motor if it wasn't for the inferior two previous motors that went bad...this last motor is a decent brand, a Gleason Avery 1.75a 120v....3000rpm

I am running the stove on low right now, afraid if I turn it up ,the motor will fry..since that was the MO for the other motors. .so far so good...I had it going for 3 days straight, no issues...just wish I knew the high limit running temp of these little motors...I have had no luck finding those specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.