Frustrating Morning with Harman PF100 and Selkirk...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nateschisler

Apr 8, 2011
Central OH
So I'll start with my conclusion...it appears that Selkirk does not make a stove adapter and/or pipe connector to fit the Harman PF100.

The OD of my flue collar is 4 3/16. Their standard connector (4vp-pc) is too small. They make an adjustable one (4vp-apc) but it is really intended for sizes up to 4 1/16. By the time had it bent open enough to fit over my flue, it would've taken a whole tube of RTV to seal it up. Not my idea of a clean install. I called Selkirk...they said "Well, what does Harman reccommend?". I called my dealer - they use ICC Exel for their installs. I called Harman...they said "How did you get this number?" Seriously (I apparently called the direct-line of somebody important)...but I will never tell. Then he confessed that their flue collar sizing was based on Simpson DuraVent. Would have been nice to know that ahead of time! I know many guys on here use the Selkir pipe with their Harman stoves...I can only assume the flue collar varies by model. Maybe the 3" is different...I dunno?

I have been trying to install this sucker for a month. Took me 3 weeks to get the adjustable collar, only to find it didn't adjust nearly enough.

My new solution is to use a 6" piece of pipe (4vp-6). The flue collar fits nicely inbetween the stainless liner and the galvanized outer shell. The Selkirk pipe has a ring of that high-temp insulating rope-looking stuff. I'm going to trim 1/2" off the outside galvanized part (my collar is 1.25" and the pipe has a 1.5" overlap) and apply a bead of RTV to the insulating stuff and side it down on there.

Holy Cow...this has been the most frustrating part of this deal. One would think if their flue collar isn't compatible with a major product line that they would make that known...

i couldnt get the 3" adapter on my harman accentra. i split one apart trying to force it on. i ended up removing enough material from the outlet pipe to get it to slip on. it took some elbow grease but it works good now.

Be aware that "modifying it to make it work" probably voids your warranty and violates code.

You are so right. Harman has a "thick" collar, 3 or 4 in. Thought DT pipe was going to be great. What a pain. I went thru what you are with my Harman P38, 3" "thick" collar, I tried all the Selkirk adapters, ended up using 6" long regular VP pellet pipe with extra gasket packing between inner and outer pipe, sealant on and outside the collar. Secure the pipe to the collar with a screw with pre drilled hole , done. My dealer also uses ICC.

@gfreek Glad to hear my idea isn't so crazy!!! I was going to put a bunch of RTV up against the gasket, but I think I like your idea better. Where can you get that stuff from?

Um, the assortment of unused adapters is where I got the rope gasket from, I think. Or the local hardware store (or stove shop) that has bulk rolls of diff sizes . Make sure the stove collar pushes against the gasket and use plenty of sealant.

Too bad it didn't work out like its supposed to, otherwise a damned good product.

Just to make no assumptions, you're not trying to fit the inner ring of the appliance adapter over the stove exhaust outlet are you? I just did a Selkirk install (XXV 3" not PF) and the inner ring of the Selkirk appliance adapter fits inside the cast stove exhaust outlet, then the outside portion of the appliance adapter will slide over the outside of the cast stove outlet. So you end up with a large portion of the stove adapter inside the outlet and a large portion of the stove adapter outside of the stove exhaust outlet creating a double seal.

PF might be completely different other than it's 1" larger than the XXV.

Status
Not open for further replies.