Frustrating night - (Update)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
smokinjay said:
Oh I am with you there but I did the same thing and it fired...lol took a few on that one. :cheese:

I guess the fuel solenoid could be considered both. An electrical problem that caused lack of fuel. You were just screwed. :lol:

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Oh I am with you there but I did the same thing and it fired...lol took a few on that one. :cheese:

I guess the fuel solenoid could be considered both. An electrical problem that caused lack of fuel. You were just screwed. :lol:

Tell me about it. I was scratching my head on that one. :roll:

Just got home from work, found some carb spray but no little red straw thingy on the can....no straws on any of my cans of stuff...lol...is there a freakin gremlin that steals all the red straws on wd 40 and other cans :0 lol
Anyway, I might tackle some of the diagnosis tomorrow on lunch, and I will post my results. Maybe I'll pm craig and see if I can purchase a few hearth hats and send them to the ones who diagnosed them correctly...can't afford one for everyone, but there were a few postes that I would like to send a hat too if I can get this running.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:
Fellas, this thread has tons of good stuff in it, but my bet is that Dave's head is spinning with all this info.

I can help with one small test. Very quickly spray a short burst of starting fluid in the throat of the carb. Pull to start (up to 3 pulls). If it fires AT ALL. Stop. You have a fuel issue. If it FAILS to fire, you have an electrical issue. This will tell you which end of the spectrum to focus on.

I have dollars to doughnuts that the carb needs to be cleaned.

I will take that bet.....50/50 always a good bet. lol

Yer gonna loose this one Jay. :) Ran fine at home. Stuffed into vehicle and got bounced around moving sediment where it shouldn't be and plugged the carb. Let me make a call to my booky. :coolsmile:

I'll even go further. Ran for 20 seconds or 30 or whatever because it ran on the fuel that was already in the bowl. Once depleted, no worky worky.

My simple test will confirm - spark or fuel.

Head not spinning yet, lol.
If I shut off the fuel line, and remove the bowl, should there be fuel in the bowl? If no fuel in the bowl, then it would be a fuel line problem? and if fuel in the bowl, its might be more of a carb issue? (I'm learning a lot here)

Give it a shot of carb clean down the throat of the carb before you take anything apart. If it runs then you just ruled out compression and ignition issues. Then pull the bowl off the carb. Fuel in the bowl, carb needs help. No fuel? Make sure the float/needle valve isn't stuck closed, fuel lines/filter are clear, and the pickup in the tank isn't clogged. Since it won't start after sitting overnight I think it's safe to say the fuel tank cap isn't the culprit.

Jags and master mech are on it. Carb is gummed up.

My gen did the same thing. I took carb off, had jelly like gas in
It... Carb cleaner, little brass brush and a thin single wire
Guitar string cleaned it out.

Another time the float needle valve was gummed shut, no fuel...
Removed and cleaned carb...

This last time I ran tiny bit of white gas before storing....

Will try stabil in my gas this year...

MasterMech said:
Give it a shot of carb clean down the throat of the carb before you take anything apart. If it runs then you just ruled out compression and ignition issues. Then pull the bowl off the carb. Fuel in the bowl, carb needs help. No fuel? Make sure the float/needle valve isn't stuck closed, fuel lines/filter are clear, and the pickup in the tank isn't clogged. Since it won't start after sitting overnight I think it's safe to say the fuel tank cap isn't the culprit.

JUST DO IT!

Attachments

• nike-just-do-it.jpg
    nike-just-do-it.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 177
Jags said:
MasterMech said:

JUST DO IT!

Safety glass's! Dont ask why I said that!

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
MasterMech said:

JUST DO IT!

My only suggestion on top of MasterMech's is to use starting fluid, not carb cleaner. Some of that stuff won't ignite.

Read up on the basics of the carb last night, and at least know I kinda have an idea how it works. Basically, there should be gas in the bowl, and as the gas rises in the bowl the float should close to not allow too much gas in the card....then when the engine uses the fuel, the fuel level in the bowl should drop, then allowing the float to release more gas into the bowl...so, if the float is stuck, no gas in the bowl, and no engine runny...correct?

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:
MasterMech said:

JUST DO IT!

My only suggestion on top of MasterMech's is to use starting fluid, not carb cleaner. Some of that stuff won't ignite.

It was a blast bad straight back in both eyes. It will bring you to your knee's. I would rather take pepper spray.

smokinjay said:
It was a blast bad straight back in both eyes. It will bring you to your knee's. I would rather take pepper spray.

Daddy taught me to never stare down a carb when you crank an engine. Its a bad idea. ;-)

daveswoodhauler said:
Read up on the basics of the carb last night, and at least know I kinda have an idea how it works. Basically, there should be gas in the bowl, and as the gas rises in the bowl the float should close to not allow too much gas in the card....then when the engine uses the fuel, the fuel level in the bowl should drop, then allowing the float to release more gas into the bowl...so, if the float is stuck, no gas in the bowl, and no engine runny...correct?

Generally, when a float 'sticks', it will stick with the needle valve open, not closed.

Flooding results.

I'm with Jags on starting fluid to test it, not carb cleaner. But spray it ACROSS the carb, not down the throat. Keep the connecting rod INSIDE the cylinder, where it works better.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:

Daddy taught me to never stare down a carb when you crank an engine. Its a bad idea. ;-)

Wasnt cranking the motor. Just a quick shot into the carb (Carb was on my bench). It just flip back. Never had it happen before and dam sure never happen again! (Safety glass's where on my head)

Jags said:
smokinjay said:

And make sure you ain't got a rookie on the starter. Rookie sees flames coming up out of the carb, he/she freaks out!! Whats actually the correct reaction is to begin cranking again, sucking the combustion down where its spossed to be :coolsmirk:

smokinjay said:
Wasnt cranking the motor. Just a quick shot into the carb (Carb was on my bench). It just flip back. Never had it happen before and dam sure never happen again! (Safety glass's where on my head)

Okay, own up, you were trying to huff the can, weren't you? :lol:

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Generally, when a float 'sticks', it will stick with the needle valve open, not closed.

Flooding results.

Absolutely, and if the valve gets plugged, starvation results.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:

Yea thats it...Be careful is all I got. :ahhh:

Jags said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:

Flooding results.

This is like carb 101...thanks guys.
Basically, the bad gas can gel up and cause the valve to get plugged.....is there a test at the end of the course, lol

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:

You should try lithium sometime.. . . I've heard . . .

daveswoodhauler said:
.....is there a test at the end of the course, lol

Yes, the test is: Does your generator run??

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:

Just bust'in your balls Jay. That stuff is dangerous in more than one way. Treat it like boiling gas on your stove.

daveswoodhauler said:
Jags said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:

Flooding results.

Basically, the bad gas can gel up and cause the valve to get plugged.....is there a test at the end of the course, lol

Likely, however the offending obstruction is NOT between the needle and seat. The smaller the orifice, the easier it plugs. The problem is more likely to be in onderneath a jet or a check ball . . . you can spray carb cleaner down it till the can is gone, you won't dislodge that speck. Oh, and the plug will be hopelessly fouled and the cylinder walls washed.

daveswoodhauler said:
Jags said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:

Flooding results.

Yea, if it doesn't start you have a clean carb and your now to the electric side of the game!

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
you won't dislodge that speck.

A $1.99 torch tip cleaner set is a very handy tool when working on small carbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.