Fuego Flame insert is cooking my family

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CraiginIowa

Oct 16, 2013
Southeast Iowa
Hello from Iowa, new to forum and new to woodheating.

Last December I bought a new to me house and a sealed Fuego Flame fireplace insert. It is putting out more heat than I thought was possible from a fireplace. My house has 10ft ceilings and baseboard heat, I have no ductwork in the house to move heat from room to room and the heat gets stuck in the living room due to the lower arched doorways. This fireplace insert is a joy to burn and watch but it burns hot and a very long time which overheats the room.

So far I have tried drawing warm air into the sun room which is off the room containing the fireplace through a doublehung window and small transom window above a doorway. I open only the top of the window to suck hot air into the sun room and force it down the hallway with a fan through another window. The sun room shares a window with the dining room/hallway and living room containing the fireplace so it acts as my manifold to distribute heat.

This amount of airflow has not been adequate to share the heat with the rest of the house. My living room has been up above 96deg F at the approximate 48" height of the thermostat for the baseboard heaters (who knows the temp at 10ft ceiling). I am forced to open the damper and waste the heat. Yesterday I received my 16" whole house ventilation fan the will replace the puny twin 8" window fan that was drawing from the sun room before. Hopefully this fan will be an improvement and push enough air to make the living room tolerable.

Now my question for options. I could install a thru-wall fan to feed some heat upstairs as the stairwell is about 3ft to the right of the chimney. These fans are from 80 dollars to who knows. Has anyone tried this solution and would they recommend it?

My other option is to alter the arched doorway to allow the heat to flow. The choices I can think of would be to just raise the shape or add a longer transom window.

My guess it that anyone else with a decent insert and no ductwork is in the same boat, please share your collective wisdom.

Any feedback is appreciated,

Craig

Blow the cooler air toward the stove. It is more efficient. Pick a cooler location that has line of sight to the stove room. Place a 12" table or box fan at the location, placed on the floor, pointing toward the woodstove room. Run it on low speed. It will blow the cooler air down low, toward the woodstove. The denser cool air will be replaced with lighter warm air from the stove room. Running this way you should notice at least a 5F increase in the hallway temp after about 30 minutes running. You'll also be cooling off the stove room at the same time. Try it, it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.