Fuel age purists nightmare..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakotas Dad

Minister of Fire
Mar 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
So, I have this small saw.. I have been told that though branded a "Craftsman" it is in fact a Husqvarna. 36cc's. Bought new in '97 when the house was built to clean up and buck the trees that were downed for the driveway and house. Used fairly heavy for about 7 years, then I got a Husky 359... Little saw got a 14" bar and chain and became "her saw".. doesn't get run much. Hardly ever. Sits on the shelf in the shed.. neglected.

In '09, we had one whale of an ice storm. It came out of retirement and worked it's chain off for a week, running close to non stop during daylight hours the whole time. At the end of that deal, it got it's chain sharpened up, placed in it's case, and put back on the shelf with a 1/2 gallon or so of pre-mix in the same cheezy plastic gas can that came with it new.. it's the only thing here abouts that runs 40-1 pre-mix.

Fast forward to this afternoon. Needed to cut down a little tree that was in the way of a project. Small, maybe 4 inches DBH..lol. Anyway, since my other saws were in the truck, and I was right next to the shed.. pulled it out. all it's fuel and bar oil had leaked out into the case.. (a problem since the beginning) so I wiped it down with a rag, picked up the gas can gave it good long agitation, put in half a tank.. put in a half tank of bar oil..

Pumped the primer eight times, set the choke and throttle, 4 pulls and a sputter. Choke off, 2 pulls and started. Smoked a bit for 20 seconds or so, then cleared up. Cut that tree up just fine.

Thing is buzzy though, had forgotten that. And must have misplaced the scrench that goes with it..

So saw hadn't been started for three plus years, pre mix was three plus years old.. started and ran fine. Gave it a good squirt of orange cleaner once it cooled down, along with the nasty case.. rinsed it off. Going to put it back on the shelf, pre-mix and all.

So there.

dont make it right.

You need to treat that thing better. sounds like its been a good saw.

I put a 14 inch b/c on my poulan 2150 this year. Screamin little saw.

its full of motomix and sittin on the shelf now.

Motomix is a pre-mixed 2 cycle fuel. Stabilized and ethanol free. A great way to keep out of trouble with small engines you use every few weeks but seldom need to refill the tank.

Dakota, your saw actually has Poulan roots along with it's 1st cousin, the Husqvarna 136. Most of those that made it beyond the 3-4 month mark have remained good saws. Whole lotta oomph for a 36cc saw. Big uproar when customers found out that their new big bad Husqvarna was actually a Poulan in a tux. ;lol

Reactions: mecreature
I thought about the motomix route when at the dealer the other day picking up a part for the lawnmower.. at $32+ a gallon, it's hard for me to step up and buy even a quart.. maybe if I run that little thing a bit more this year.. Not that I can't afford it.. just that my wallet clamps shut at the thought..lol

I thought the plastics looked more Poulan then Husky, all I know is the dealer counter guy looked up the part number for a air filter from a Husky book, told me "same as 136".. or, apparently, a 2150.. wonder who's parts are the cheapest..

You don't have to run the motomix full time. Some will run it as the last tankful before storing the unit.

this my my first time putting motomix in.
1 quart filled a MS280 and a husky 435.
I bought a bottle of trufuel and used it on a poulan 2150 and an AV4218.
Waste of money... probably.
I just figured they would sit a while.
I have up until this year just used fresh gas with stabil.

I usually have about 30 gallons of stabil/gas back over the winter and fill everything with the stabil mix run it before shut down.
I usually run the lawn tractor all winter. I fire up the generator a few times over the winter.
I am always early to get the lawn equipment up and running before I ever need it.

Maybe it is just the time of year. You are fiddlin with cutting brush or gathering firewood anyway.
Might as well fire everything up and let it run a bit.
Except the 9.9 merc.
That is just what I do.

6.00/gal for AvGas is sure cheap compared to 32.00 for motomix.

6.00/gal for AvGas is sure cheap compared to 32.00 for motomix.

Agreed, but better ?. When was the last time your saws sat for a few months?

Agreed, but better ?. When was the last time your saws sat for a few months?
I have some OPE that has sat for yrs. Can't imagine anything outlasting AvGas. My current stock is over 3yrs old and still smells and runs as good as new. Basically AvGas is like lacquer thinner. It basically doesn't go bad. When it does evaporate it leaves absolutely nothing behind. Thats the real beauty of it.
Will have plenty of it running at the GTG. I have 2 saws with over 200lb compression that require it.

AvGas is designed from inception to store well for long periods of time.

Other than specially formulated racing fuels I believe there is no better gas on the planet than AvGas. I just wish I would have been around to experience the 145 octane that was used by the war birds. The golden age of recips.

I have a gas station about 5 miles from me that sells ethanol free gas.
There is a small airport about half way between.
Guess I should do some investigation work.

I have a gas station about 5 miles from me that sells ethanol free gas.
There is a small airport about half way between.
Guess I should do some investigation work.
Ethanol free would be a good choice. Biggest advantage with AvGas is it won't shellac.

Other than specially formulated racing fuels I believe there is no better gas on the planet than AvGas. I just wish I would have been around to experience the 145 octane that was used by the war birds. The golden age of recips.

I still want an inertia starter on my woodhauler. ==c

Status
Not open for further replies.