Fuel burning problem with OLD earth stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmcmillan1

Nov 14, 2006
Western Maryland
I bought an earth stove natural fire stove by lennox used. It is about 10 years old. Having a problem with pellets not burning on higher feed settings. On this stove, manual, the draft fan can be set to off, low and high. The feed rate can be set on low, medium and high. When feed is on low and draft is on low or high, pellets burn up to completely to ash. When feed rate goes up to medium or high, lots of flame, lots of heat, but also lots of black, unburned, wasted pellets. Have to clean ash pan everyday. Can't keep house warm enough on low feed sometimes. Wasting lots of money on pellets. Draft fan doesn't seem like there is much difference between high and low. Please help soon. Any suggestions would be appreciated. By the way, I am female, new to this, and do all the work myself.

Thanks for posting and welcome aboard I sure some of the pellet stove experts will post soon to help you out.
One thing lacking you did not provide any info about how your stove is Vented, does it require an outside air feed? are all the vent pipe connections sealed real good?
Can you post a picture how you have vented this stove?

The stove is vented through an existing brick chimney, probably used for an old wood stove at one time. I am not sure what you mean about outside air feed, but it is vented according to the manual specifications (at least I hope so!) No where in the manual does it talk about outside air feed. Is there an easy way to check the connections seals? I have read a lot about pellet quality. Since I did not have this problem last year, and I am using different pellets this year, (Hammer Red Hot), could the quality be causing this problem. I forgot to mention that when on low feed, even though the pellets burn to ash, the ash is stuck together in hard clumps which I have to mostly push into the ash pan. Thanks to you for replying. I hope I can get some answers soon.

kmcmillan1 said:
The stove is vented through an existing brick chimney, probably used for an old wood stove at one time. I am not sure what you mean about outside air feed, but it is vented according to the manual specifications (at least I hope so!) No where in the manual does it talk about outside air feed. Is there an easy way to check the connections seals? I have read a lot about pellet quality. Since I did not have this problem last year, and I am using different pellets this year, (Hammer Red Hot), could the quality be causing this problem. I forgot to mention that when on low feed, even though the pellets burn to ash, the ash is stuck together in hard clumps which I have to mostly push into the ash pan. Thanks to you for replying. I hope I can get some answers soon.

Kim

This as an example of how a fresh air kit works.

http://www.northlineexpress.com/images/pdf/5UZ-6039MA.pdf

scroll down to pages 8-10 & note the dwgs.

<re-edited>

The following will take you to the Lennox 1400 pellet eater website

http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com...y=earth+stove&zoom_button.x=0&zoom_button.y=0

Go down to & click on 1. 775000 G- 1400HT (II&CO).pdf & you should see the pdf dwg of the 1400 HT

Is that your pellet eater? :lol:

Scroll down to page 11 & note the fresh air intake is attached to the heater coming up thru the bottom for a trailer application.

<re-edited>

Here are some good maintaince tips also.

http://www.pelletheat.org/3/residential/faq.html#maintain

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.