Fuel consumption log / prediction models

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Overlook, that is a difficult layout for your stove to warm. Do you have any room to room air movement via fans? Warm can be moved if it's a slow movement of air currents. I use a Vornado van located 7' off the floor - the smallest one they make - on its slowest setting to "waft" the air down my main hallway to the bedroom area of the house. I typically end up with a 4F differential from one end of the house (stove location) to the far bedroom (coldest location).

Down that same hallway, there is a pretty fair cold current of air returning to the living room where my stove it located.

Overlook, that is a difficult layout for your stove to warm. Do you have any room to room air movement via fans? Warm can be moved if it's a slow movement of air currents. I use a Vornado van located 7' off the floor - the smallest one they make - on its slowest setting to "waft" the air down my main hallway to the bedroom area of the house. I typically end up with a 4F differential from one end of the house (stove location) to the far bedroom (coldest location).

Down that same hallway, there is a pretty fair cold current of air returning to the living room where my stove it located.

I do have that inline duct fan I put in to blow air from the living room to the back of the bedroom on the first floor. It does a good job of keeping the bedroom at or near the same temp as the living room where the stove is, but as you say, there is a noticeable cold draft coming out of the door from that bedroom into the living room.

I may have room to place a fan above the doorway between the kitchen and the living room. Does anyone have experience with those little corner fans that get mounted in the top corner of a doorway? The fan between this door way could be a more permanent one in the wall above the doorway, but I'm thinking about trying one of those corner fans. Easier to install. Easier to remove if it stops working.

You could use one of those fans, though I don't have experience with one. My comment is that small fans, and especially thin fans, tend to spin faster and have more noise. That's why I chose a Vornado fan - very little noise, lots of slow air movement. They are the best fan I've found for simply moving air around, quietly. If you look at a Vornado, you'll notice it's more of a ducted fan than a normal fan.

There's a reason that style is used on modern submarine propulsion and modern torpedoes. Just sayin' :)

Here are the files as jpgs.

Attachments

• Overlook EGR -  FirstFloor.jpg
    Overlook EGR - FirstFloor.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Overlook EGR -  Second Floor.jpg
    Overlook EGR - Second Floor.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 75
Wow! This layout doesn't lend itself to being efficiently heated with a point-source. The only real hope you have is to move air. Even then. . . .

Wow! This layout doesn't lend itself to being efficiently heated with a point-source. The only real hope you have is to move air. Even then. . . .
The circulation fan i am using between the living room and the bedroom works very well. It's the M-6 from the following website: http://www.tjernlund.com/ductboost.htm

I have an 8x14 intake grate high up on the wall in the living room and the fan is in the middle of about 6 feet of insulated flex duct and then drops down a stud space and out an 8x6 grate at the floor level. I have it on a variable speed controller, so i can play a little with speed(right now, i have it turned down to it's lowest setting). I also have a thermometer inserted into the stud space so, i can read the temp of the air being pushed through this system while it is still in the duct. It's usually slightly above 80, sometimes closer to 90 if the stove is really ripping.

I was hoping to be able to push air two places with this fan, but i'm not sure it really has enough capacity. So, i'm considering a fan of some kind above the door to the kitchen. I really don't have any hope of heating the bathroom, but i'm ok with that.

We also, don't use the upstairs too much yet, so we don't worry about heating that, but by leaving the door open, i think we could get fairly good flow up to the one room at least.

The portion to the right that currently has the living room and bedroom was the original house. with the second floor. The original house was a plank house. The kitchen and garage were added on later, and have a conventional studded frame construction. The second floor has sloped ceilings because they are right up against the roof (there is no attic space really). I am fairly certain that the ceiling of the two rooms are not insullated at all. It would be quite a project to tear out the plaster from the inside to insullate, but if i do, i would put spray foam insulation in there. I think that would make a huge difference.

The circulation fan i am using between the living room and the bedroom works very well. It's the M-6 from the following website: http://www.tjernlund.com/ductboost.htm

I have an 8x14 intake grate high up on the wall in the living room and the fan is in the middle of about 6 feet of insulated flex duct and then drops down a stud space and out an 8x6 grate at the floor level. I have it on a variable speed controller, so i can play a little with speed(right now, i have it turned down to it's lowest setting). I also have a thermometer inserted into the stud space so, i can read the temp of the air being pushed through this system while it is still in the duct. It's usually slightly above 80, sometimes closer to 90 if the stove is really ripping.

I was hoping to be able to push air two places with this fan, but i'm not sure it really has enough capacity. So, i'm considering a fan of some kind above the door to the kitchen. I really don't have any hope of heating the bathroom, but i'm ok with that.

We also, don't use the upstairs too much yet, so we don't worry about heating that, but by leaving the door open, i think we could get fairly good flow up to the one room at least.

The portion to the right that currently has the living room and bedroom was the original house. with the second floor. The original house was a plank house. The kitchen and garage were added on later, and have a conventional studded frame construction. The second floor has sloped ceilings because they are right up against the roof (there is no attic space really). I am fairly certain that the ceiling of the two rooms are not insullated at all. It would be quite a project to tear out the plaster from the inside to insullate, but if i do, i would put spray foam insulation in there. I think that would make a huge difference.
Had a friend with a similar insulation problem. He studded out the inside of several rooms, insulated and built walls and a new ceiling.

Maybe a pellet boiler and some new baseboard is the ultimate answer?

Not sure about all those calculations but I think I may need to buy me some more them wood pellets before spring. I started out with 3 1/2 ton. I think I got 1 1/4 tons left. !!!

Back in the 1970s I wrote an HDD computer program for National Fuel Gas(NFG) Engineers in Buffalo. I learned all sorts of interesting facts. Like how NFG makes more money through TV advertisements telling customers to save energy by turning their thermostats down. You see natural gas is closely regulated. NFG is allowed to make so much money based on the pipes already in the ground and it doesn't really matter how much fuel each resident uses. The less natural gas residents use means same NFG profits for residential accounts and more natural gas is available to sell to commercial accounts. NFG higher commercial natural gas sales means higher NFG profits. That my friend is capitalism. Well sort of. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.