Fuel Light? Not out of Fuel.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stoney28

Oct 12, 2008
Northern NY
Twice this winter (not in a row), I've gone out to check the EKO and found the fuel light on. I open the door and there is half burned pieces of wood and mostly cold coals. I can't figure out why the fire went out. Any ideas?

Did the load bridge?

(Burn out on the bottom & died because the wood didn't fall down into the fire as it burned).

No, there was no bridging. There was just a pile of black coals (mostly cold) and partially burned pieces of wood on top of them. I'm starting to think that there wasn't enough oxygen, but I had the fan almost halfway open. (the way I have been burning for 3 years now).

No, there was no bridging. There was just a pile of black coals (mostly cold) and partially burned pieces of wood on top of them. I'm starting to think that there wasn't enough oxygen, but I had the fan almost halfway open. (the way I have been burning for 3 years now).
You need to change your work time setting.( fd or fb I cant remember) The boiler was trying to reach your set temp and when it met your work time setting and did not reach set temp it shut down fan and said fuel.

Also what EKO do you have?

Rob

I have found that I have to press STOP, then START, every time I load the boiler, even when it is hot. This will prevent the above from happening as it resets the working time Taxidermist mentions. I have not experienced the unburnt load condition since I started doing it every load.

No-fuel testing time during work mode [Fb30] - in WORK mode, if
temperature of water in the boiler decreases below temperature set with
the thermostat, by hysteresis value, and don't reach temperature set with
the thermostat in programmed time, the control process will be turned off
and the display will show the message: [FUEL]. You can cancel the alarm
by pressing STOP button.

So the FB 30 means 30 min If you increase this time it will help.

Rob

No-fuel testing time during work mode [Fb30] - in WORK mode, if
temperature of water in the boiler decreases below temperature set with
the thermostat, by hysteresis value, and don't reach temperature set with
the thermostat in programmed time, the control process will be turned off
and the display will show the message: [FUEL]. You can cancel the alarm
by pressing STOP button.

So the FB 30 means 30 min If you increase this time it will help.

Rob
And he translated that from Polish;lol

Reactions: taxidermist
This may be an example of a situation where the new (programmable) Eko controller is a step backwards. The old one only required the outlet temp to pass the MINIMUM value (60C) in order to avoid shutdown. As I understand it, the new one only resets the shutdown timer when the outlet temp reaches the setpoint, which is the MAXIMUM outlet temp (typically 80C). In my case and perhaps many others, I can have a very healthy fire burning for a LONG time without the outlet temp reaching 80C.

I may have this wrong.....

That is the issue, Nofossil. I have run into this before - house demand is heavy, so boiler never reaches setpoint and after the time limit set by Fb as described above, boiler gives FUEL message and shuts fan off. increasing Fb and/or resetting the timer by pressing STOP then START will fix this. As I stated above, I have not encountered this since I started resetting the timer each time I check or load the boiler.

I didn't know you could reset the timer. This makes sense because it happened on cold nights where the boiler had a hard time getting the temperature up to the limit. How do I reset the timer other than pressing start and stop? (I already do that everytime I load it). It does it on the overnight.

Btw, its and EKO 40

You will need to increase the time allowed before set temp is reached - Fb. Offhand I don't remember what the max time is, but I use 60 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.