Fuel line/Filter for a Husqvarna 371XP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boog

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2012
NE Ohio
husky.1.jpg

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later, the first Husky has entered my garage........... fixing a 371XP for a friend. The saw had a tree fall on it busting the handle and air filter cover. I picked up a very nice used handle assembly for it on ebay. The "new" used handle didn't have a fuel line/filter with it so I was going to use the old one, but I discovered a very bad kink in it once I got it off. Its apparently still working, but I figured to change it while I have everything apart.

I surfed ebay and noticed that most of the ads did not list the 371XP as working with their products......... some listed 371, or the 372/372XP. Some had only the fuel line or only the filter listed for 371XP. I could obviously order from different places, or could get it from "Hong Kong" or a dealer, but this all got me wondering............

Will anything that says 371 or 372 (XP or not) work, or is there something extra special about this Husky?

On a related note, will a 372XP air filter cover/filter fit the 371XP?

(I've also changed my signature to reflect that I've totally cured my CAD disorder and can no longer consider myself a Stihl Hoarder. I've sold 7 of my saws this month (4 at a gun show last weekend!) and I only have 9 left. Four more to go (460, 036"Pro", 031AV, 024AV) and I'm holding pat at 5 for the long haul (440 Mag, 360 Pro, 026, 250CBE, 191T. Pretty good considering I had 18 early this year!!!)

Reactions: DexterDay
The later 371 and earlier 372 (non X-torque) have a lot of interchangeable stuff on them, like the crankcases. The early model 372s have two types of air filters and engines; the smaller 371/372 and the 372 XPW (larger engine and air filter). Off the top of my head there were several 371/early smaller engine 372 differences, like the chain adjusters, gas vents, brake levers, top covers, starters, gas/oil caps, air filter clips, and they put limited ignitions on the 372. The earlier 371s also had one piston ring. The different filter clips may prevent the AFs from being swapped. I had a 371 briefly and sold it and then got a 372 beefy larger XPW, but I did not have to do any work on either one, really.

Reactions: ScotO
As for CAD, there is no cure. You are only one saw purchase from starting down the dark path again. I almost bought a 440, 441 and 360 last week. A three saw deal. Some guy beat me by a half hour. So I am tenuously holding at 7 saws. I almost bought a clean early model 372xp a couple months ago as well (I posted it here). I decided I want a 365 x-torque instead, but they are all about the same price as the 372s now that everyone has figured out they are the same saw (in the X-torque line) so... its been dry here on saws on CL, mostly overpriced junk at pawn shops, but every now and then a good one (or three) pops up.

Reactions: ScotO
Good to see you posting again Boog. Done digging holes for now? :)

Will anything that says 371 or 372 (XP or not) work, or is there something extra special about this Husky?

I thought the only (main) difference between a 371/2 is the 372 has a beefed up crankcase. But the case will interchange between a 371/2. So i'd say the fuel line is the same. The fuel line on husky's is usually just a piece of tubing coiled up, not the molded fuel lines like Stihl uses. Got any Tygon?

Welcome back to the CAD game Boog... :)

You need to read that post again Dex, the 371XP is just a repair for a friend, not a new acquisition. I've got enough antibodies built up now to hold the line at what I've got for quite some time to come.

Good to see you posting again Boog. Done digging holes for now? :)

Yes, I'm done digging holes for now (4" drainage, 1' x 8' road culverts) although I still have two bridges (2 - 3' x 20' culverts and another 4' x 20' culvert) to relocate/repair next year. I've dropped the hoe and I'm just scraping topsoil now to work on my access road to my woods out back. I need to rig up a draw bar/hitch for the 4-point hoe attachment points on the back so I can start hauling trailer loads of wood out now. I had to do a lot of work on the 3400 when I got it. It had been sitting in a field dead for about 10 years and needed a lot of work, but not a lot of money. I had to brace up the loader and chain up the hoe just to move it and get it home. All-in-all a good cheap replacement, and far more versatile, than my old Farmall M.

dig.1.jpg

(My 1962 Boston Whaler project boat has not gotten touched this year.................... :()

dig.3.jpg

In my "spare" time, I also rebuilt/painted 5 of the 6 - 031AVs, all sold now. They looked like this when they were done ......... Stihl orange, but cheap white ::-).

031.a.jpg

I thought the only (main) difference between a 371/2 is the 372 has a beefed up crankcase. But the case will interchange between a 371/2. So i'd say the fuel line is the same. The fuel line on husky's is usually just a piece of tubing coiled up, not the molded fuel lines like Stihl uses. Got any Tygon?

That is exactly my thought too Mike. I was only worried that there might be a size/diameter/flow rate difference between models. I examined it more closely in the sunlight with my cheaters on and can make out #00,05K,347291 on the hose so that should nail it down for me, thanks. Heck, that kink doesn't even look too bad now that its been out of the saw a few days.

hose.jpg

The later 371 and earlier 372 (non X-torque) have a lot of interchangeable stuff on them, like the crankcases...................................................... I had a 371 briefly and sold it and then got a 372 beefy larger XPW, but I did not have to do any work on either one, really.

Thanks for the reply StihlHead, as usual, a wealth of good info. Just ordered a fuel line/filter combo for 10.50 shipped.

As for CAD, there is no cure. You are only one saw purchase from starting down the dark path again................................................ its been dry here on saws on CL, mostly overpriced junk at pawn shops, but every now and then a good one (or three) pops up.

But that's the key......... I am very happy with the saws I have now and have no desire to make that next purchase (my CAD therapist instructed me to tell myself that every morning in the mirror) :cool: . I'm even getting rid of my last of 6 - 031AVs, my first Stihl from 1980.................... now that should tell you something ;lol. My therapist said that parting with my very first Stihl would definitely cure me forever. Now, when the day comes that something seriously breaks, well that's a different story ;).

Nice looking 031AV there. I see a lot of them for sale here, but heed advice that ignition parts are hard to come by. The only saws I will consider now are good 034 Super/036/360, and 361s. I would also consider a 261, or a 441... or a nice 371/372 or 365 x-torque (only the inboard clutch Huskies). Of course an 026, 020T or 044 could come floating along that I would snap up. I have culled all of my early Stihl AV saws, Husky saws, my 1123 saws, most of my 026 collection, the Olympyks, Echos and MAC door stops. I do still have a new ignition module for my last Olympyk though.... *shudder* and several boxes of numerous Stihl saws parts that I will not part with.

So I am only partially cured of CAD. If saws were hitting the market like they were in '08 I would be buying saws like a madman.

I used to have an L size Kubota at my ex's place and 100+ acres to do lots of road work and culvert laying. I put down I do not know how many yards of 3/4 minus gravel. I rebuilt several bridges there and we put in a RR bridge with a gov't grant. I do not envy your work on that.

She's obviously a quack............................. there is no cure

Careful there Mike, presumptive sexist alert ..................... I never said my CAD therapist was female ;lol .

Careful there Mike, presumptive sexist alert ..................... I never said my CAD therapist was female ;lol .

My CAD was coaxed out of me by my ex. She was an enabler. Every time I brought another saw home she got excited and gave me hugs and kisses, knowing that I would have more saws to cut more trees and control the 'hellish greenery' as Ken Kesey called it. He actually partied in her barn when the place was a hippy commune in the 1960's, but that is another story.

CAD therapists and enablers can be females... my ex was and still is damn good looking, which made it a viscous cycle.

Reactions: DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.