Fuel oil price today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EricV

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2007
Saranac, NY
I spend about $60 per year harvesting firewood, On a purely financial basis, the breakeven for me would be oil at $0.10 per gallon. Of course, cutting and splitting wood saves me a health club membership, so I think they'd have to pay me around $0,50 per gallon to take oil before oil would save me money ;-)

Yea, I haven't done the math yet. I paid $33 per cord for 15 cord log length, 55 per cord for 8 split and 70 for 4 more split. So average about 55ish. But I like cutting and splitting, exercise and all.

I have a feeling it isn't going down too much more for too much longer.

EricV said:
Yea, I haven't done the math yet. I paid $33 per cord for 15 cord log length, 55 per cord for 8 split and 70 for 4 more split. So average about 55ish. But I like cutting and splitting, exercise and all.

I have a feeling it isn't going down too much more for too much longer.

Get your oil the day before election day. The day after election day, the price starts to rise again. Call me Nostradomus!

Heck, Mark - you can make a lot of money by placing that bet in the stock and commodities market.
A lot.......
Enough to buy a lot of firewood.....

Most wood burners actually burn almost independent of the price of oil. They might burn MORE, but I sold wood stoves and boilers from 1979 to 1998, a period when fuel oil was as low as 70 cents a gallon. If people had stopped burning wood, I'd have been long out of business.

The price of oil will go up, the price of oil will go down. The greater the squeeze on supply by world demand, the more volitile the price will get, and all in all the price over time will go up..and up.. and up. For me.ike Craig says, reasons to burn wood are many, price is only one. . The one thing that rising oil prices do in the long term is substantiate a rise in wood prices. Fortunately, there really is lots of wood if you're a serious wood burner. We wood burners use only a tiny part of the total wood harvested, and that small portion that we use can often be had for little money or if you're fortunate or resourceful, for close to free. :) I personally love all of it, collecting it, cutting it, splitting it, seasoning and stacking it, and especially burning it. I'm healthy, always warm, my dogs and wife are happy (though not necessarily listed in order of importance), and it costs me about 150-200 per year in gas, parts, tools, and 20-30 gls heating oil to heat my house. Wood is a "life is good" way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.