Fuel Price Locator....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
What does everyone think about a Hearth.com fuel price entry form - that you all could use once you are logged in to record local prices and then everyone else could search or add......

really rough, an entry would look something like this:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/price_templates/index/

It could take wood, pellets, corn, coal, LP fuel oil as inputs since those are the fuels that we have some choice in buying.

Suggestions of the amount of info, number of fields. I usually like to keep these simple as having people remember exact addresses and zips is difficult. We could add optional fields for zip locale - street and perhaps phone....

Let's think about this - could bring a whole new crowd here!

Go for it. Type of fuel, city and state, dealer and price. With date of course.

Of course just like pellet related stuff, it would be nice to have it segregated so it costs me less beer to catch up on unread posts.

great idea, in theory. As a dealer, the only problem I see is people looking at the data on the page, and not taking into account local wholesale cost varations, extrapolating higher prices to be higher profit, then using said web page as a hammer to beat said dealer over the head!

Scenario:

*ring*

Dealer: Hello, Holz Hausen Hearth Supplies....How can we help you?

Customer: Oh, Im just checking on the price of pellets....how much are they?

Dealer: Our pellets cost $250/ton, hardwood premium, XYZ Brand, picked up here at our shop.

Customer: WHAT?!!! You guys are THIEVES! I see here on the internet that pellets are $150/ton! I always knew you guys ripped folks off....blahblahblah.....*click*

any other retailers have thoughts? Im always amazed at how cheap some pellets are which I read about there....so far below cost, even not factoring in transport, its ridiculous.

HarryBack said:
great idea, in theory. As a dealer, the only problem I see is people looking at the data on the page, and not taking into account local wholesale cost varations, extrapolating higher prices to be higher profit, then using said web page as a hammer to beat said dealer over the head!

any other retailers have thoughts? Im always amazed at how cheap some pellets are which I read about there....so far below cost, even not factoring in transport, its ridiculous.

These fuels are a commodity, and the customer should not have to take much into account except what they need to - price, quality and services (like delivery, etc.) - and, of course, stock.

Sellers of fuel will be able to post their own prices also, so it could bring business. My thought is that large dealers should have a price advantage, while many small dealers are not set up to really sell quantity to the general public anyway. As mentioned before, if the pellet thing stays with us this time, I expect the big movers (Harryback, large seed and garden suppliers, mass merchants) to account for the lions share.

On a side note, I don't want to hear a pellet manufacturers jump up and down about how utilities and oil companies are putting the screws to folks and they can heat with Pellets without the volatility. It's pretty clear given the last run-up - and now down, that Pellet makers have decided to get what they can for their product. Nothing wrong with that - except it may harm their long term goal....just an opinion.

Anyway, back to the pricing guide, my Hearth.com outlook stays with the customer....and I will be one as soon as I get my machine hooked up. I want to know where I can score at the best prices!

RE: Your suggestion - good one....I will make certain that city, state are large if possible, so it is very clear as to where the price is!

jtcedinburgh said:
Don't forget a field for country - we're not all in the US...

Yes, but only about 1-2% of visitors are from other than US - Canada. I will include both those countries as well as "other" - also will includeliter and kg in units.

I think it would be great. Having local wood suppliers pricing would also be great. log length, cut and split, seasoned, green etc...

michaelthomas said:
I think it would be great. Having local wood suppliers pricing would also be great. log length, cut and split, seasoned, green etc...

There will be some flexibility in the "units" and in the comments for folks to post those strange loads - like a BIG dumptruck load.

I am starting on the project, but have some stuff in line first - I expect it to be up before the end of Oct so we can use it during this heating season.

craig

it could be like the craigslist of wood!!!! That would be awesome. I find it difficult to find tree companies, excavators and builders to get wood from because we have the SAPPI paper mill that buys pretty much any wood to chip up and use as fuel for it's plant. So it would be nice to have an avenue to reach those who have wood in the area. Great idea and I can't wait!!!

Good idea!

For wood [quality, on time delivery, etc.]

Or would ya want to just use the comment section for that.

Great site BTW! PG

Status
Not open for further replies.