Fugly wood sheds-let's see 'em!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
I'm tired of seeing all of these purdy woodsheds (or maybe I'm just jealous ;) ) Let's see your cobbled-together-half-falling-down-bailing-wire-and-bubble-gum woodshed!

New004.jpg

Heck that looks good to me! Only thing I like better than a cheap build is the use of rough cut beams and timber. Best I can do is a scronge chix coop! lol 80 percent scrounged.

Attachments

• ze.jpg
    ze.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 1,672
Thats great Jay,,,first dual purpose woodshed I've seen do the chickens cut and stack also???? .....love it......fish,,yours isnt bad either. Check out mine...oh yea,,I dont have one yet,,,spring project for me. ;-)

Joey said:
Thats great Jay,,,first dual purpose woodshed I've seen do the chickens cut and stack also???? .....love it......fish,,yours isnt bad either. Check out mine...oh yea,,I dont have one yet,,,spring project for me. ;-)

It was on the cheap and if the chix dont work out I will have the mower and splitter in there......I just bring in a cord at a time and stack in the heated shop!

Badfish740 said:
I'm tired of seeing all of these purdy woodsheds (or maybe I'm just jealous ;) ) Let's see your cobbled-together-half-falling-down-bailing-wire-and-bubble-gum woodshed!

Hell, Fish...I think that's one classy woodshed. Not at all what I expected to see when I read the thread title. Rick

smokinjay said:
Heck that looks good to me! Only thing I like better than a cheap build is the use of rough cut beams and timber. Best I can do is a scronge chix coop! lol 80 percent scrounged.

Jay, if you look at your sheds gable end the right way it looks like Thomas the tank engine.

My Oslo heats my home said:
smokinjay said:

Jay, if you look at your sheds gable end the right way it looks like Thomas the tank engine.

LOL.......As I tould my Dad hope the chix's dont notice! It is a tank.

...Jay, if you look at your sheds gable end the right way it looks like Thomas the tank engine.

I see Thomas the Tank Unicorn.

fossil said:
...Jay, if you look at your sheds gable end the right way it looks like Thomas the tank engine.

I see Thomas the Tank Unicorn.

Its ugly but 12 inch on center and book match black walnut on the front. Will look better after trim but I have to many hours on it now. Need to get the shop loaded up with wood and make sure the wood furnace is ready for another 6 month run. Oh, and all ss screws about 20lbs worth freebee too!

fossil said:
Badfish740 said:

Hell, Fish...I think that's one classy woodshed. Not at all what I expected to see when I read the thread title. Rick

I'll get a different picture-I think the angle hides a lot. Kind of like the ones that people send each other online to disguise what they really look like :lol: If you look at it straight on you can see all the warped lumber I used from the cull pile at Lowes. It was a damn good deal though-a whole truckload of slightly warped posts, pressure treated decking, 2x4s and even two sheets of plywood for $30!

Badfish740 said:
fossil said:
Badfish740 said:

I'll get a different picture-I think the angle hides a lot. Kind of like the ones that people send each other online to disguise what they really look like :lol: If you look at it straight on you can see all the warped lumber I used from the cull pile at Lowes. It was a damn good deal though-a whole truckload of slightly warped posts, pressure treated decking, 2x4s and even two sheets of plywood for $30!

Hahaha Thats me and if I cant find that I use my chainsaw...In this case both and with the chix in the shop you got to move fixed!

Pic taken June 2011,shed built Summer 1982.Has seen its share of bad storms,big limb from Shagbark about 40 ft over it came down in ice storm several years back.A bit rough now,would like to tear down & rebuild it in a couple years if possible.

Attachments

• finally its completely full after 8.5 months.jpg
    finally its completely full after 8.5 months.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 1,574
Man this is disappointing! I think those are decent looking shelters especially the OP's "ugly" shelter!

Ray

Thistle said:
Pic taken June 2011,shed built Summer 1982.Has seen its share of bad storms,big limb from Shagbark about 40 ft over it came down in ice storm several years back.A bit rough now,would like to tear down & rebuild it in a couple years if possible.

20 years and still useing it Awesome .......Is that rail ties? or 4x4

Here is my shed, it's made of about 90% recycled material. Originally it had a tarp for the roof, that didn't last too long. I replaced it with plywood and role roofing, much better.

Attachments

• shed.jpg
    shed.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,513
WES999 said:
Here is my shed, it's made of about 90% recycled material. Originally it had a tarp for the roof, that didn't last too long. I replaced it with plywood and role roofing, much better.

She holden. Not sure there a lot of life left. 90 percent though is impressive, sure there more to come. I love the scrounged material's! Mine the only thing I bought was 35 2x4 treated 1.96 a stick. Made my own 4x4's for the back two corners and rip the 2x4 down to 2x2 for studs and making the fence stronger.

Thistle said:

Does that sign say "free wood help yourself"? :lol:

Gary

6 hours work, 4 pallets, 2 crate bottoms, 7 rough cut 2x6, 3 1x6 from the dismantled crate,
and 2 pieces of old used tin.
$0 new money. Ugly, but beautiful too.

002.jpg

maplewood said:
6 hours work, 4 pallets, 2 crate bottoms, 7 rough cut 2x6, 3 1x6 from the dismantled crate,
and 2 pieces of old used tin.
$0 new money. Ugly, but beautiful too.

Great job creating that zero dollar wood shelter! I would not mind having several of those in my yard.. Anything is better than relying on tarps to keep wood dry!

Ray

Here is mine. My wife calls it the Bayou shack....

Attachments

• shed.jpg
    shed.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,146
  • woodshed.jpg
    woodshed.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,100
Badfish740 said:

Heck, you just made my shed "fugly" At least your shed has a floor! :red:

shawneyboy said:
Here is mine. My wife calls it the Bayou shack....

You win so far, until mines finished anyway, I need some more pallets before I can finish mine, my original plans fell through.

I do not think any of these wood sheds are "fugly"...not even "ugly"....because....
it is what inside them that counts...(kinda like people)...
and the "contents" of all these sheds are beautiful.....
Kudos to all you guys and gals.... :)

GAMMA RAY said:
I do not think any of these wood sheds are "fugly"...not even "ugly"....because....

That was a real tear jerker Gamma! :) How you been?

Ray

raybonz said:
GAMMA RAY said:

That was a real tear jerker Gamma! :) How you been?

Ray

Great Ray...thanks... :)

I just posted that because I know how much hard work goes into c/s/s wood.....
So what if your wood shed is not as aesthetically pleasing as others....as long as it has good chit inside it.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.