Full or empty ash pan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott2373

Nov 9, 2011
Williamson, New York
I read on this forum that some people fill their ash pan with sand and never use it, or let it fill and don't empty it. One dealer told me to let it fill, but another dealer told me that the other one wants to sell me lots of grates because it will warp if you don't empty it...I'm at a loss here. I'm new to being a wood stove owner, so I don't know which way to go. I've also read that many users on here like to keep a minimum of 2" of ash on the bottom of their stove due to it's insulating properties. Therefore I'm depending on the cumulative expertise here on this forum. My Rangeley has a nice ash grate and big ash pan beneath it. So should I fill 'er up or keep emptying it? Thanks in advance for all the replies!

I've seen that about the insulation too, but I don't understand it. Maybe it depends on what's under your stove? My stove has a lot of thermal mass under it, so I figure heat that radiates out the bottom is a good thing. The ash pan is also very convenient. It was definitely a factor in our recent decision to purchase a Jotul 400 over some of the other choices.

Have you used it yet? Do you like the thing or not? If you like it, use it as designed.

pen

Scott2373 said:
So should I fill 'er up or keep emptying it?
I imagine results may vary depending on stove. Try it both ways and let us know.
I've tried both ways with mine and there was a definite difference, pluses and minuses to each (due to mine being a downdraft stove).

I've never used mine. To use it there is a small ~2x2" plate that you pull out and then the ash would drop into the pan. So that means would have to rake the ash and try and jam it in that little hole. The pan doesn't hold very much either. I have never measured, but I would guess maybe a gallon.

What I do is let it build up until I can't fit much wood in the stove then shovel it out. Usually end up with 4-5 gallons of ash. I have emptied mine out once this year, took about 1.5 months of 24/7 burning.

I find a fire burns much better with a bed of ash. Can let the stove go out and even then when you spread the ash around there is enough coals that were insulated to start a fire again.

I never used it on my CDW and left it full and never warped anything.. In fact I would expect just the opposite as the ash insulates the bottom and protects it.. My T-5 manual says to always leave an inch of ash in bottom and I haven't used the ash pan so far as I see little advantage between shovelling the firebox or using the ash bin..

Ray

"Warp if not used"??
Sounds backwards (fiction) to me. If it warps, most likely when empty, full & covered with ash would help insulate it.
Can't imagine the engineers & designers made a ash pan/grate that warps. Empty or full.

For the most part I usually suggest the stove be operated as it was designed so maybe it is better to use that ash pan if you have one. I still have had better fires when there are ashes in the bottom of the stove.

I have heard the same Scott,i was told that the ash will hold the heat warping it.Was told here it will not.I trust these people,i do empty it every once in awhile but i think it burns better with ash in the stove.I noticed soft wood has little ash while the maple leaves lots.I too have the Rangeley,only fault so far is wish the firebox were higher.Very nice stove.

I've read enough posts about ash pan door gaskets leaking over time and contributing to overfiring. I have also read a few bad stories of people accidentally leaving the ash pan door open too long(no no to begin with) and having a blast furnace effect at the ash grate. I let mine fill and don't have to worry about either, and yes it does seem to hold chunks of coals better for morning start-ups. Having dry wood will nullify the need for opening the ash door for additional air.

fishingpol said:
I've read enough posts about ash pan door gaskets leaking over time and contributing to overfiring. I have also read a few bad sories of people accidentally leaving the ash pan door open too long(no no to begin with) and having a blast furnace effect at the ash grate. I let mine fill and don't have to worry about either, and yes it does seem to hold chunks of coals better for morning start-ups. Having dry wood will nullify the need for opening the ash door for additional air.

+1 Jon I feel the same way.. My ash pan has not had ash in it yet.. Seems it would be messier than shovelling the stove than emptying the ashpan..

Ray

raybonz said:
fishingpol said:
I've read enough posts about ash pan door gaskets leaking over time and contributing to overfiring. I have also read a few bad sories of people accidentally leaving the ash pan door open too long(no no to begin with) and having a blast furnace effect at the ash grate. I let mine fill and don't have to worry about either, and yes it does seem to hold chunks of coals better for morning start-ups. Having dry wood will nullify the need for opening the ash door for additional air.

+1 Jon I feel the same way.. My ash pan has not had ash in it yet.. Seems it would be messier than shovelling the stove than emptying the ashpan..

Ray

The only ash pan that I like so far is the Encore and I just recently learned that it can over fill and create a bit of a mess when you remove the pan.

I'm still in the "it doesn't matter to me" when it comes to ash pans.

BrowningBAR said:
raybonz said:
fishingpol said:

Ray

The only ash pan that I like so far is the Encore and I just recently learned that it can over fill and create a bit of a mess when you remove the pan.

I'm still in the "it doesn't matter to me" when it comes to ash pans.

I know what you mean.. If it wasn't standard on the T-5 I wouldn't have opted for one..

Ray

A little ash on the bottom helps keep the coals glowing for a longer period, so a little ash at the bottom seems to be beneficial. However, I prefer an empty ash pan, so I can create a blast furnace over the coals and get a fire roaring quickly. I don't believe my grate has been affected.

firecracker_77 said:
A little ash on the bottom helps keep the coals glowing for a longer period, so a little ash at the bottom seems to be beneficial. However, I prefer an empty ash pan, so I can create a blast furnace over the coals and get a fire roaring quickly. I don't believe my grate has been affected.

This sounds like you are using your ash pan door as an air inlet? If that is the case sir, that is a big No No. Yes it creates as you say a blast furnace, and that is one of the problems. You can damage your stove and void the warranty. That is the best-bad thing that can happen. Worse yet I have heard horror stories of people who do this and have forgotten to close it, or it didn't close completely/correctly and the fire went nuclear.

You Rangeley owners are the pioneers as these stoves haven't been out that long you need to tell us about the stove. Now the Oslo has a very useful ash pan and I use it, and most folks seem to like it. I have never heard of filling the pan with sand.

+1 to all of those who never use the ash pan. My Buck 91 has one but it holds so little I would have to make several trips outside to empty my ashes. I leave them in the firebox until it really starts to hinder the amount of wood I can get in. Empty and leave some in the bottom, maybe an inch, sometimes clean it out and start fresh.

shawneyboy said:
This sounds like you are using your ash pan door as an air inlet? If that is the case sir, that is a big No No.

Only a prob if you leave the stove. If you stand there and stare at it for 30 seconds, which all it takes, and then shut it, it's hard to go wrong. But it's one of those things I don't recommend to others, only to myself.

cptoneleg said:
You Rangeley owners are the pioneers as these stoves haven't been out that long you need to tell us about the stove. Now the Oslo has a very useful ash pan and I use it, and most folks seem to like it. I have never heard of filling the pan with sand.

I have a Castine and regularly use the ash pan. I'm surprised to read here and on other threads that a lot of folks prefer NOT to use it. Maybe it has to do with different designs? Most of what ends up in my ash pan is just ash, very few embers (usually smaller ones)... and I guess I pictured that if I didn't have an ash pan, I'd potentially be shoveling out a lot more live coals / embers with the ash. Does this happen?

Thank you for all the replies. So far, I've been using the ash pan as designed. I've owned the stove for less than a month now and have emptied the ash pan twice. It really does hold quite a bit of ashes when the you consider the fact that the "ashes" are of a baby powder consistency. I haven't been burning the stove regularly, as the inside of our house seems to default to around 68 degrees with the kind of weather we've been having here in Upstate NY - unseasonably warm, that is. I'll try to keep you updated when the temps go down and stay there. For at least the next week we'll be expecting temps in the high 50's to low 60's during the day and averaging around 45 at night, so I guess I won't be doing much burning this week....

great to hear that you have seasonably warm weather scott 2373. i'm sure you will get plenty of time to stretch her legs come january / february in upstate new york cold weather.

i think that ash pan air inlet trick is something to be mindful of, but i am aware of the risk when doing it. i never let it roar for extended periods. just a quick blast of flame intermittently upon start-up or when it's dying down. it does help get things going. i also use the side door to add a little life to the party or force the fire along the logs when it's burning only at the one end.

i bought this stove used from a guy in upstate new york, so i wouldn't have a clue about warranty.

kborndale said:
keep the ashes for insulation and get rid of the grate. No need for it in a wood stove.

You can not get rid of the grate it is the bottom of the stove, and the ash pan works great

kborndale said:
keep the ashes for insulation and get rid of the grate. No need for it in a wood stove.

This is incorrect.

@ kborndale: What I believe you are referring to is a fireplace grate, as in the log "rack" used to hold the wood in place. When I say "grate", I'm talking about the slots cut into the floor of the stove where the wood lays. You are correct when you say a "grate" is not necessary in your case. I hope this clears it up. Welcome to the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.