Fuller & Warren Splendid Oak 25

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

figment

We have this lovely parlor stove that my father got when somebody somewhere decided they didn't want to heat with a stove anymore. It's been sitting out in the barn for probably ten or more years, but is in wonderful condition. Needs a little clean up, mica, and a latch for the door. We want to set the stove up to be a functional heat source in our workshop. But, first, I would like to know a few things about the stove, like, is it coal or wood, and how could I tell? Is it possible to get a replacement latch (I doubt it, best I can tell the stove is somewhere between 100 and 120 years old.) or does anyone know the best way to fake that? It also has an odd door arrangement that I'm curious about. There is a small upper door, and a larger (currently mica-less) lower door. The lower door can be opened alone, but the upper door opens both. The lower door also has a panel that opens, and there's some kind of knobby thing that I'm not sure if it's supposed to turn or not. Everywhere else on the stove where there's a knob, it serves a purpose, but this one just seems to sit there. It's this lower door that is missing the latch.

Thanks.

Where are you located? I know there some antique stove restorers all over the country that really do some beautiful work, and can help or might have the missing parts. I have one guy just a few miles down the road from me. Do you have any pictures you could post?

Status
Not open for further replies.