Fun for the kids

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajreid

Nov 16, 2010
il
The kids were helping unload wood today so we decided to make it fun. We built are building one of these things. Cant spell it, cant pronounce it and may not finish it, but here it is.

2011-09-09_16-15-09_484w.jpg

Some big ol' splits in there...and big sapwood. What kind of wood is that?
Holz Hausen means "wood house" I think...

Nice pic AJ.. I think the previous poster has the name right.. Have fun!

Ray

Woody Stover said:

Hickory. Im, going to try big splits. These will have a 2+ years before I need them

ajreid said:
Woody Stover said:

Hickory. Im, going to try big splits. These will have a 2+ years before I need them

your NC-30 is really gonna enjoy digesting those............nice looking wood.

My translation of Holz Hausen is pita. LOL looks good, & enjoy that Hickory.

We got it done and it looked pretty good until my son wanted a flag flying on top of the pole. He gets a ladder troughs it in the back of the trailer and backs right into the stack before I stop him.
As you can see the whole backside of this the HH is gone. Didnt even have time to get a pic of the finished project before it got destroyed.
No Im not rebuilding it.

2011-09-10_13-58-10_78w.jpg

Most folks call these holz hausen, but the proper name is holz miete.

To keep it from collapsing you need to fit the wood in better . . . go up two or three feet . . . make sure the wood is either level or pushed in a bit . . . after that point start tipping the wood into the center using thin splits to prop the wood up . . . also be sure to fill in the center as you go as it will help support the wood in the circle.

http://www.holzmiete.de/anleitung.php

firefighterjake said:
Most folks call these holz hausen, but the proper name is holz miete.

To keep it from collapsing you need to fit the wood in better . . . go up two or three feet . . . make sure the wood is either level or pushed in a bit . . . after that point start tipping the wood into the center using thin splits to prop the wood up . . . also be sure to fill in the center as you go as it will help support the wood in the circle.

http://www.holzmiete.de/anleitung.php
You don't expect to be able to read dutch/german do you? As Jake said keep wood slanting inwards (it looks like you tried) and it will be really strong. If it slants out, you could be in for some trouble. I find them stonger than normal stacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.