Fun stacking pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeremy6500

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2021
Indiana
I finally got my "home built" trailer finished this past summer (started its life as a 70s Shasta Camper) so I was able to buy pellets in bulk when they were on sale instead of 10-20 bags at a time.
TrailerPellet.JPG

Had to spend a day last weekend clearing out an area in the garage to stack the 3 pallets. Worked out well. It is a 1.5 car garage, so I am able to park inside and still have room for the pellets.
PelletPlace.JPG

Took 3 trips and a lot of stacking, but got it done. My tractor isn't big enough to lift a full pallet, so we had to handle each bag. Lucky for me my son (and his young back) was there to help.
Pellet3Ton.JPG

Thinking this should get me though the bulk of heating season.

Last edited:
I don't have a pellet stove, but I am just curious for comparison. How many bags is that on 3 pallets and what is the cost per bag? I paid $810 for 3 cords of wood this year. My cost should go down next year as I have a lot of huge rounds from some ash trees that were cut down 2 years ago. I plan on splitting them this winter.

I don't have a pellet stove, but I am just curios. How many bags is that on 3 pallets and what is the cost per bag? I paid $810 for 3 cords of wood this year. My cost should go down next year as I have a lot of huge rounds from some ash trees that were cut down 2 years ago. I plan on splitting them this winter.
I bought (2) pallets (50 bags per pallet) at a cost of $225 per pallet a few months ago. Pallets are 1 ton. The typical range for hardwood pellets is $220-320 per ton.

Reactions: Dan Freeman
Looks good OP. The wife and I carried two tons to the basement and stacked on pallets. She says never again....

• Haha
Reactions: ABusWrench
I don't have a pellet stove, but I am just curious for comparison. How many bags is that on 3 pallets and what is the cost per bag? I paid $810 for 3 cords of wood this year. My cost should go down next year as I have a lot of huge rounds from some ash trees that were cut down 2 years ago. I plan on splitting them this winter.

50 bags (1 ton) per pallet. $4.44 a bag after Menards %11 rebate ($222 a ton).

Depending on the temps this winter this should get me through heating season, or very close to it.

If they go on a good sale later this winter I may pick up another pallet for a jump start on next winter.

Reactions: Dan Freeman
Unfortunately yes. No outdoor access either. Through the house and down the steps. I think a shed will be in our future. Hindsight maybe I should have had her help just one ton a day.
That was some chore having to go through the house and down the stairs. No wonder she said, "never again!"
1665407934116.png

Reactions: Shank
Unfortunately yes. No outdoor access either. Through the house and down the steps. I think a shed will be in our future. Hindsight maybe I should have had her help just one ton a day.
A shed may be a good idea for the future.

I was able to back the trailer in to the garage so it was right next to the pallet we were stacking it on. One person on the trailer handing the bags to the other person on the ground who was stacking them on the pallet. We were able to knock it out pretty quick.
TrailerInGarage.JPG

A shed may be a good idea for the future.

I was able to back the trailer in to the garage so it was right next to the pallet we were stacking it on. One person on the trailer handing the bags to the other person on the ground who was stacking them on the pallet. We were able to knock it out pretty quick.
View attachment 300269
That's definitely the way to go. Nice Wrangler as well.

That's definitely the way to go. Nice Wrangler as well.
Thanks. It's the wife's Wrangler. Just got it over the summer. Of course it took all of 2 days for her to start asking about a lift and bigger tires. Seems like every week Amazon is showing up with a package of something Jeep.....;lol

Her newest addition is an American Flag cover for the spare tire carrier delete that lights up as a 3rd brake light.
FlagCarrierCover.JPG

FlagCarrierLit.PNG

Thanks. It's the wife's Wrangler. Just got it over the summer. Of course it took all of 2 days for her to start asking about a lift and bigger tires. Seems like every week Amazon is showing up with a package of something Jeep.....;lol

Her newest addition is an American Flag cover for the spare tire carrier delete that lights up as a 3rd brake light.
View attachment 300273
View attachment 300274
Haha it never ends either.... I've done an entire frame swap on one and have lifted my current one. If you go forward with it, Old Man Emu are very nice lifts.

Nice work. Here’s mine, currently about 5 1/2 tons. I can haul 1 ton at a time in my 5x8 trailer, and I do all 4 tons in one day. Pull the trailer with my Cherokee. Having to redo the floors and a little bit of the uniframe right now.

6E9F7F13-55B8-43FB-B552-B7F16FCA7237.jpeg

Looks good OP. The wife and I carried two tons to the basement and stacked on pallets. She says never again....
Keep your eyes out for a kids playground slide, the 10 foot plastic ones. Saves a lot of trips up and down the stairs. Someone on top setting them on someone below catching and stacking.

,IMG_20220930_180847548_HDR.jpg

7 x 7 shed just over 3 ton in it now, If i removed the few other things inside I could easily fit 4 ton

Last edited:
Keep your eyes out for a kids playground slide, the 10 foot plastic ones. Saves a lot of trips up and down the stairs. Someone on top setting them on someone below catching and stacking.
I have been somewhat watching for one. Surprisingly not that easy to find.

Yep, 96 4.0 5 speed. Last year they were made simple. Love how there is practically an endless supply of parts for these things. I’ll keep it going as long as I can.

View attachment 300307
Nice! 5 speed is cool. I had a 97, I actually really liked it.

,View attachment 300333

7 x 7 shed just over 3 ton in it now, If i removed the few other things inside I could easily fit 4 ton
Good move there, I need to do similar.

Reactions: tlc1976
,View attachment 300333

I’ve been thinking about building a “pellet house” near the corner of my deck, so I wouldn’t have to carry them 75 feet uphill to the house like I do now. Probably 12 x 12, then I could fit 3 pallets on each side of the door and store up to 7 or 8 tons. Then too I could get a car into the garage if I wanted.