Fun way to spend a weekend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
We went down to the Columbia River last weekend. The windsurfers were having a blast. That's Mt. Hood (OR) in the background. I took some video that I'll put up on youtube in a bit. These surfers really can move. The winds were mild that day, about 15 mph, but on some days they will reach 60 here.

IMG_1599web.jpg

We saw the wind surfing on the way home along the Columbia. We stayed further east at Maryhill State Park. This is good wine country and where Sam Hill (yep, What the Sam Hill!?) built Maryhill and a Stonehenge replica as a WWI war memorial. http://www.maryhillmuseum.org/2013/

IMG_1598web.jpg IMG_1588web.jpg

Maryhill is now a museum with some very interesting and unexpected collections. There are a lot of Rodin's plaster and clay models, plus some bronzes. And a large collection of furniture from the Queen of Serbia, plus some contemporary work. I took a couple shots of this pottery by Kenneth Standhardt for AP. All the surface texturing is done by eye with a modified church key. He gets some awesome results.

IMG_1591web.jpg IMG_1592web.jpg

Some metal sculpture out on the grounds.

IMG_1593web.jpg IMG_1594web.jpg

Wow - pretty neat stuff. Because I am so anti-talented I don't know that I can respect the work at a level it deserves. I like to look at that type of stuff, but have never really considered it a destination type attraction. It probably stems from jealousy. ;em

Status
Not open for further replies.