Fun with Sandy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fod01

Feeling the Heat
Nov 4, 2008
Long Island
Just a quick note... we've been without power since Monday. Utility crews are on my street now. I appreciate those who are away from their families to help us.

Took the surround off the Montpelier, and have been burning some small stuff. I was worried about over-firing without the blower working, but the IR therm was showing only around 430 by the collar, and 74 in the livingroom, mid to high 40s overnight.

We lost a tree into my above ground pool during Irene. Sandy gave us an ugly hanger in the backyard. Waiting for a call from our tree service for this one.

Luck to all.

Gabe

Good to hear the crews are moving in. Good plan to let the tree service handle the hanger. Stay safe!

PS: What part of Long Island are you in Gabe? Sounds like the south shore took it bad.

Good to hear the crews are moving in. Good plan to let the tree service handle the hanger. Stay safe!

PS: What part of Long Island are you in Gabe? Sounds like the south shore took it bad.

We are in Medford, about 65 miles east of NYC, and a few miles south of south of the Island's center. In all, we made out ok. My mother-in-law is even further south and did not lose power at all. We took advantage of her hospitality for showers etc.

My parents live on the north shore. They have 3 trees down, 2 of which are hangers. They promised to call a service this time. A hanger almost killed my dad a couple years ago. Their neighborhood is a mess, but even their power came back yesterday.

I am at my office now, and am finally seeing pictures of the island. Its hard to get my head around it all.

Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.