Function question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teetah222

Feeling the Heat
Oct 11, 2009
WA state
I finally got to start the stove this afternoon. Am in the stage of having the house door open so I can burn the paint off the stove and not smoke out. It's so nice. Already the house is 4 degrees warmer than I was, with the door open. And the wall heaters off.

Anyway... I'm noticing that the flame ebbs very low, then leaps up after a bit (usually shortly after more pellets have been dumped in the pot). Is this normal? I'm running on level 5 for the burn in stage.

Haubera said:
.....Anyway... I'm noticing that the flame ebbs very low, then leaps up after a bit (usually shortly after more pellets have been dumped in the pot). Is this normal? I'm running on level 5 for the burn in stage.

yes, most pellet stoves have a little variation in flame as pellets burn off, and then get replenished.....normal.

Yes, 5-5 setting for the burn-in....should be done for about 3 hrs.

Just curious.....what were your lower button settings as it came from the factory?

Thanks for the feedback, macman. That sounds good to me. :coolsmile:

I think it said 2 and 2. And I'm starting to turn it down as it seems to have stopped smoking already, so I shut the door, and it's heating me out of the living room. Which is "almost" what the idea was in the first place. I was tired of spending a bunch of money for not much warmth with the electric wall heat units. Sitting here right now and my toes are toasty warm.

Haubera said:
.....I think it said 2 and 2.........Sitting here right now and my toes are toasty warm.

The LFF was 2, and the LBA was also 2?

Enjoy the heat!

Like I said, I think that's what I recall. Maybe it was only 1 and 1. I had to turn up the setting to get the stove to ignite after about 5 minutes, as it wasn't blowing enough at the lower air that it defaulted to. It actually went to E2 (which meant it didn't start burning soon enough) shortly after it actually did ignite. Once I turned it back on it's been fine since.

macman said:
Haubera said:
.....Anyway... I'm noticing that the flame ebbs very low, then leaps up after a bit (usually shortly after more pellets have been dumped in the pot). Is this normal? I'm running on level 5 for the burn in stage.

yes, most pellet stoves have a little variation in flame as pellets burn off, and then get replenished.....normal.

Sounds like the pellets are burning up before the next auger cycle. Can you increase just the auger feed rate or reduce the draft air with the Englander stoves?

I have 2 ways to adjust this out with my Omega. 1= Draft air setting. 2= Pellet feed rate. I can either reduce the air some or increase feed rate to get it as close as possible to a constant flame. You will also have to watch the glass. If it starts to turn black, Your getting it to rich so go back a bit. Also watch the flame for black tips or orange color=rich setting.

I have 2 buttons that I can change. One says "heat range" and the other says "blower speed". I can drop the heat range, which I'm assuming is the auger rate, without the air changing, but if I go up on the heat, the air goes up too. Will have to play with it a bit more today and see what else I can do.

Haubera said:
I have 2 buttons that I can change. One says "heat range" and the other says "blower speed". I can drop the heat range, which I'm assuming is the auger rate, without the air changing, but if I go up on the heat, the air goes up too. Will have to play with it a bit more today and see what else I can do.

Mac was referring to the buttons below your heat range and blower speed. There are 3. To get more or less pellets at all heat ranges you can open or close the "door" in the bottom of the hopper. Sometimes it is advantageous to open the door for better burn on the 1 or 2 heat range settings if you are not getting enough flame. The bottom 3 buttons are another story.

Yeah, I have 3 buttons at the bottom of the panel, but the manual just says "don't change those". Since I don't want to give them an excuse to void the warranty I think I'll leave them alone.

Panhandler said:
Haubera said:

Mac was referring to the buttons below your heat range and blower speed. There are 3. To get more or less pellets at all heat ranges you can open or close the "door" in the bottom of the hopper. Sometimes it is advantageous to open the door for better burn on the 1 or 2 heat range settings if you are not getting enough flame. The bottom 3 buttons are another story.

Do you know what the bottom three buttons are supposed to do? I don't think I will change mine either but would like to know what they do .

Don't start messing around with the feed rate. The up and down cycle on the flame is perfectly normal. The feed rate is not a metered amount with each auger cycle. sometimes you get more pellets, sometimes less and so the flame goes. If you start messing with settings your first day you are asking for aggravation and trouble in IMHO. Get to know the stove yourself and don't listen to everything you read.

Groundhog said:
Don't start messing around with the feed rate. The up and down cycle on the flame is perfectly normal. The feed rate is not a metered amount with each auger cycle. sometimes you get more pellets, sometimes less and so the flame goes. If you start messing with settings your first day you are asking for aggravation and trouble in IMHO. Get to know the stove yourself and don't listen to everything you read.

Not sure I agree 100%. But I do agree that its best not to change what you don't know!

If you change things in little steps and track the changes? And you are able to back track. I don't see an issue. Yes I see your point of just changing things just for the sake of changing it. That would be bad and could mess you up. After all how would you learn the stove if you didn't try different things.

I guess I am really picky and like a nice consistant flame! Done in baby steps with every change watch closely.

just my 2

I'm good with leaving them alone. It's not like the stove isn't heating me out of the house as it is, so as long as it's normal to see the flame go up and down. I'm good. Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.