Funnel shaped free standing fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael6268

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Grafton NH/Upper Valley
Hello! Anyone know or remember the funnel shaped free standing fireplaces that were popular in the 70's? I dont know the correct name for them but they resemble a upside down funnel. Any one know if any one still makes them and any info on them? I am getting near completion of a new log home and didnt want the expense and space lost to a masonry fireplace and thougt being a log cabin, this might fit the bill. Any info would be great!

Just sold one last winter that was in my house that was built in the 1970's. It was a Wool-Worth I belive...I know it was a dept store fireplace..But it was red and had two 3 ft sections of pipe that was also powder coated red. It looked cool but just ate the wood and only produced alittle heat for the amount of wood that was going in..Also mine just had a steel grate cover that just sort of sat on the front of the fireplace, so I never left it burn at night. Anyway i got about 100 bucks for it....put my wood stove in and ain't lookin back!...Your right though it was very retro..

Here's a pic I found from about 3 years ago the day after Christmas...Hence all the toys..lol

Attachments

• IMG_0331 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0331 (Medium).jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,222
I call'em indoor firepits. Pretty flames, no heat. And will burn down your house just like that seventy-five dollar firepit from Ace Hardware will burn down your deck and whatever happens to be attached to it.

Gazdik said:
Here's a pic I found from about 3 years ago the day after Christmas...Hence all the toys..lol

Looks like the one I had in the basement family room when I bought my house in '08. It was a Preway, and I sold it to a fella from England for $125. As BB said, it burned a lot of wood for no heat. We like the stove much better.

Gazdik said:

You don't keep the Santa pics up all year long? :lol:

Matt

While we are on the topic (this was going to be an eventual post), my friend last year purchased a house with a circular fireplace like this in the living room. He built a fire once, but there was enough backdraft to stink up the room with a campfire smell for some time.

Any thoughts on improving draft? I'm guessing the fact it is open on all sides will make it hard to ensure all the smoke goes up the chimney regardless. Could the back side be enclosed so only a portion of the full circle is open for access and viewing?

I've attached a photo of the fireplace. Its a nice decorative touch to the room, but would be better if he could light it every now and then without the smoke infiltrating his room.

Attachments

• fireplaceretro.jpg
    fireplaceretro.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,184
You might tell him to hold some burning paper in the vent before starting a fire, to send warm air up the chimney. A feature I didn't like was that there was no way to shut it down by closing doors, etc. It had a flue damper, but you couldn't close it until the fire was cold, and even then, I had to put a large wet towel over the opening so the warm air from the house wouldn't go up the stack, or get a backdraft.

BrotherBart said:
I call'em indoor firepits. Pretty flames, no heat. And will burn down your house just like that seventy-five dollar firepit from Ace Hardware will burn down your deck and whatever happens to be attached to it.

I beg to differ. We heated a 2-car garage converted to a family room with one as I was growing up. Single Wall pipe is the key.

myzamboni said:
BrotherBart said:

I beg to differ. We heated a 2-car garage converted to a family room with one as I was growing up. Single Wall pipe is the key.

OK. Correction: I call'em indoor firepits. Pretty flames, Enough heat to heat a two car garage converted to a family room. And will burn down your house just like that seventy-five dollar firepit from Ace Hardware will burn down your deck and whatever happens to be attached to it

Status
Not open for further replies.