Funny holes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcollect

Jan 23, 2008
Garrett County, Md
My friend posted picture of strange holes in his firewood upon splitting. He's an Entomologist and thought they were boring insect holes. I on the other hand think they are man made. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Sinks_Grove_-_Strange_Wood_2_002[1].JPG
    Sinks_Grove_-_Strange_Wood_2_002[1].JPG
    286.6 KB · Views: 250
  • Sinks_Grove,_Odd_Wood_002[1].JPG
    Sinks_Grove,_Odd_Wood_002[1].JPG
    348.4 KB · Views: 259
  • Sinks_Grove,_Odd_Wood_003[1].JPG
    Sinks_Grove,_Odd_Wood_003[1].JPG
    351.7 KB · Views: 266
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Looks like some sort of wedge or iron that was pounded into the wood and the tree grew over it . Take a magnet and see if you get any pieces to stick. Is this tree from his yard or from around somebodies house ? Trees around houses usually have nails screws , you name it , pounded into them and the tree grows over it. This is why no logger with any sense would harvest a tree from somebodies yard , even if its a 100 yr old Black Walnut. A $1000 blade or band destroyed by hitting that , kills the profit margin.

x2, looks like some sort of metal wedge device was there. Lines are two crisp and straight for nature.

If those were made by insects, it must have been the same bugs that built the Egyptian Pyramids.

Are those the only ones you found?

Too symmetrical to be borers!

Hmmm, very interesting. Something was definitely cut into the tree, clean across the grain, then callous healed over and into the wound. The angle into the wood & the fact that it's a pair of similar wounds, makes me think it could be a healed over double hatchet mark from a blazed property boundary tree. Bu it's not clear from the photos if the entire wound is wide enough for a hatchet mark. My second guess would be woodland nymphs ;).

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
I would highly doubt that is caused by some insect.

They are symmetrical and also seem to occupy the same plane. I'd guess maybe an old hinge bracket or some other sort of hanger.

Or, possibly, the infamous parallel borer beetle.

Status
Not open for further replies.