funny smell from new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rachel

Sep 28, 2008
western ma
Finally after months of trying and waiting we've finally got our KOZI pellet stove up and running. Seems to be running great except there is a strong chemically smell, the hotter the stove the stronger the smell. It's not smoky, nor is it a smoky or wood kind of smell --very chemically. Is this the normal seasoning process (like when you first get a kitchen stove the oven gives off a chemically smell the first few times you use it) or is this out of the ordinary?

I have a Kozi stove as well. When I first installed it there was a smell but it went away fairly quickly. I have been burning for a few months now and sometimes when I crack it up to #4 or #5 I will get a smell like a sauna steam room.

It is the high temperature paint curing.

First fires are supposed to be low and you shouldn't place anything on the paint while curing as it can leave a mark.

This should be in your stove manual as well as been explained by the installer.

Congrats on your new stove.

Nothin to worry about...it is normal.
Gotta cure the paint and burn off the oils on that new stove.

Congrats and enjoy the heat!

An oder from a new stove can be normal. It is the paint curing to the metal, bare metal and any rust preservatives in the firebox area. Should only last a short time at most a couple days. The best thing to do is to run it high/hot for short time to cure it faster. If you only burn it low to medium, then the next time you get hot you might smell the oder again, so run it hot right off the bat. Open a window for ventilation if needed.

If you continue to have the oders several days later, then inspect the exhaust venting for possible leaks.

I agree with all the posters above. When we first fired up our Harman the smell was so bad that I was worried we made a mistake. The installer said they "pre-burned" it at the shop to get the odor out but it was still quite stinky the first day. I expected more a wood like smell and not that nasty chemical stink. It was fine on the second day and I haven't smelled it since. Enjoy your new stove!

- Rosemarie

I concur

Status
Not open for further replies.