Funny Thought

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkpoor

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2008
Amanda, OH
Based on my own personal experiences and the people around here I know I just realized something. I've noticed on this forum how most people favor very small home owner box store chainsaws (limb saws I call them) but have 2500.00 soap stone stoves. Then there are people that have 2500.00 plus worth of professional saws but heat with a 200.00 CL special (aka me) until earlier this year hehehehe. Funny how things are amungst us.
Most here seem to cut for themselves only and I cut for sometimes 4 people and in the early spring if it stays dry I might cut as much as 20cords in a 6wk time. I pretty much stop bringing home logs when the weather turns hot unless someone need a yard tree removed or I get called out on storm damage.

Yeah, that is kind of funny. I'm certainly not one of those people though! I cut all my wood with my MS290, haul it home in my 19 year old $1500 truck, and burn it in my Menards special wood furnace. Maybe some day I'll have nicer equipment, but for now, it all gets the job done.

2 stoves and 2 furnaces running in the 35 cord range a year between the 4. Milling as well.

smokinjay said:
2 stoves and 2 furnaces running in the 35 cord range a year between the 4. Milling as well.
WOW! You need a processor!

Wkpoor -

I hear you.

I got a decent saw to feed my second hand stove. Then once word got out I end up cutting for several others, plus nieghbors and volenteer for church, etc...

Let us know if you're having a saw GTG ok?

I like having a different saw for every truckload of wood I cut :coolsmile:

wkpoor said:
Based on my own personal experiences and the people around here I know I just realized something. I've noticed on this forum how most people favor very small home owner box store chainsaws (limb saws I call them) but have 2500.00 soap stone stoves. Then there are people that have 2500.00 plus worth of professional saws but heat with a 200.00 CL special (aka me) until earlier this year hehehehe. Funny how things are amungst us.
Most here seem to cut for themselves only and I cut for sometimes 4 people and in the early spring if it stays dry I might cut as much as 20cords in a 6wk time. I pretty much stop bringing home logs when the weather turns hot unless someone need a yard tree removed or I get called out on storm damage.

Sounds like you don't like my soapstone stove! That's okay, we love it. My saw may be smaller than yours but it gets the job done. You must also bear in mind that some of us have some physical limitations. For example, although I was once a logger and also head sawyer at a mill, I no longer can do those things I once did.

I guess my point is to not judge a book by its cover, or there may be more to the story than what you've posted. And some like big saws and others like small saws. If all they have to cut are large trees, then a large saw is in order. On the other hand if all they have to cut are small trees.....

On the stove, we've had some cheap ones but can say without a doubt that our soapstone is the best stove we've ever owned.....but we did not pay $2500 for it.

Different strokes for different folks. In the end, what we all want is to keep our family warm during the colder months. We just may go about it in different ways.

wkpoor said:

I snicker at these people daily

wkpoor said:
smokinjay said:
WOW! You need a processor!

Most of the time that is how I feel! lol Now the other owners do help with labor and some equipment, and I do love the work. Strong saws and 2 splitters going is where its at for us. Just tune up the 27-ton troy built and its running really strong. See what happens in the next head to head husky 22 ton VS Troy built 27 ton.....

Backwoods Savage said:
wkpoor said:

Sounds like you don't like my soapstone stove! That's okay, we love it. My saw may be smaller than yours but it gets the job done. You must also bear in mind that some of us have some physical limitations. For example, although I was once a logger and also head sawyer at a mill, I no longer can do those things I once did.

I guess my point is to not judge a book by its cover, or there may be more to the story than what you've posted. And some like big saws and others like small saws. If all they have to cut are large trees, then a large saw is in order. On the other hand if all they have to cut are small trees.....

On the stove, we've had some cheap ones but can say without a doubt that our soapstone is the best stove we've ever owned.....but we did not pay $2500 for it.

Different strokes for different folks. In the end, what we all want is to keep our family warm during the colder months. We just may go about it in different ways.
Nuttin against small saws or Soapstones at all, just noting the different flavors in forums and people in different areas and walks of like. I met a guy last summer, got to be friends ( another wood heating guy) found out he cuts with one of those baby saws. Ended up selling him a Dolmar5100S from my inventory. He had never been around saws that will really cut and I couldn't imagine my only firewood saw being a 35cc limber. But maybe if I were more reasonable myself and only cut3-4cords a year and most of those were limb sized trees I would only need a little saw too.
But I specialize in the big stuff. When someone has a tree down all the scavengers take the easy to handle and I'm the guy they call for the butt log. I prefer it as I can get way more wood way faster and I have a way to process big pieces.

LOL- between this post and your picco comment in the tag line, I just assume you're compensating for something. ☺

(and looking at tag-lines, I thought most were running Stihl/Husky/Dolmar, not available at box stores)

Adios Pantalones said:
LOL- between this post and your picco comment in the tag line, I just assume you're compensating for something. ☺

(and looking at tag-lines, I thought most were running Stihl/Husky/Dolmar, not available at box stores)
I see alot of sig lines with "Farm Boss" or "Rancher". And I've never yet seen one of those show up at any GTG I've held or have been too. Thats what I mean by the company we keep.

Well, a Farm Boss is a Stihl, and I didn't think they carried them at box stores. And as for being small, I suppose it's the CORRECT investment for the typical home heater that needs 3-5 cord a year.

I have a 260 pro, cut 4-5 cord for the home, and another 6-8 cord of slab wood for my kiln every year, and have not felt limited. (Of course that doesn't mean I haven't thought of a bigger saw for fun)

Adios Pantalones said:
Well, a Farm Boss is a Stihl, and I didn't think they carried them at box stores. And as for being small, I suppose it's the CORRECT investment for the typical home heater that needs 3-5 cord a year.

I have a 260 pro, cut 4-5 cord for the home, and another 6-8 cord of slab wood for my kiln every year, and have not felt limited. (Of course that doesn't mean I haven't thought of a bigger saw for fun)
Box stores refer to Homedepot, Lowes, TSC. Yes Stihl has a quite extensive dealer network of their own, but Husky Ranchers are sold in TSC and your won't find the 346 there. Stihl has moved into the JD dealers around here though.

wkpoor said:
Adios Pantalones said:

Box stores refer to Homedepot, Lowes, TSC. Yes Stihl has a quite extensive dealer network of their own, but Husky Ranchers are sold in TSC and your won't find the 346 there. Stihl has moved into the JD dealers around here though.

Same here JD and stihl together is pretty cool. (for me anyways)

LOL///

I would love to own a 455 Rancher and only dream of a Stihl 261.

I have a PoulanPro 4218.. and a quadrafire 7100FP.

Is that funny? LOL

but I do know a crazy man with a magnum plate on his.

mecreature said:
LOL///

Is that funny? LOL

Yep, and not afraid to run it! lol

HittinSteel said:
I like having a different saw for every truckload of wood I cut :coolsmile:

Truckload? Damn! Sure I've got a Vermont Castings stove, a Jotul insert, a Husqvarna 353 and a Husqvarna 385, but I usually haul wood on a 12 year old Long Chih trailer behind a 17 year old Corolla. We can't all be rich Larry the Cable Guy types that can afford to haul firewood with their truck.

mecreature said:
LOL///

Is that funny? LOL

If your going to dream, dream of a 361...not a 261 jeeze and not a 455....but a 357. I wouldn't be dreaming of saws you can pick up at garage sales hehehehe.

My closest Stihl dealer was also a JD dealer, but changed to Cub Cadet about 3 years ago. They are somewhat useless for both product lines.

wkpoor said:
mecreature said:
LOL///

Is that funny? LOL

If your going to dream, dream of a 361...not a 261 jeeze and not a 455....but a 357. I wouldn't be dreaming of saws you can pick up at garage sales hehehehe.

My wife hits the garage sells all summer. I have to have her keep an eye out. I bet I have missed out in the past.. you got me thinking now.

Flatbedford said:
My closest Stihl dealer was also a JD dealer, but changed to Cub Cadet about 3 years ago. They are somewhat useless for both product lines.
Just a guess but your location just might be the problem.

wkpoor said:
Flatbedford said:

You think? But where do the immigrant landscapers and private golf courses buy their equipment?

Big cast iron Quadrafire stove
MS361
Monster splitter
and all the fixin's

I guess I don't fit the mold. :lol: (never have).

Flatbedford said:
wkpoor said:
Flatbedford said:

You think? But where do the immigrant landscapers and private golf courses buy their equipment?
Somewhere further from the city I would guess.
In my local area there are several JD dealers, a great plains dealer, a Newholland dealer, and a scattering of independents. Then there are countless lawn mower dealers. All in a tri country area. Your location has more pavement than dirt I'm guessing hehehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.