Funny Thought

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent about $2000 to upgrade to the Fireview. I now burn less wood and propane, the house is more comfortable and I save at least $1000 per year. If I spent $700 to upgrade my saw I wouldn't use any less propane or wood, the house wouldn't be any more comfortable, and I wouldn't save any more money. I suppose I could take a couple seconds off of each saw cut that I make to process 4 or 5 cords per year, but, beyond that, I don't see how my "home owner" saw is holding me back any. I also haul my wood with a 41 year old truck. A brand new one might haul some more wood and do it a faster, but it would cost more to insure per year than I paid to buy the one I have and just how much time can I make up in a less than 5 mile trip? For me, the economics just aren't there for high end, new pro stuff. If I used these tools all day every day and my livelihood depended on them, I would have the newest, best and fastest, I could afford.

Backwoods Savage said:
It is sort of like the fellows (and I have many friends who are into it) who like the big tractors and go to every tractor pull in the county and sometimes all within the state. If that is what turns them on, why not? Go for it! It is your dollars and you need some enjoyment. However, I just don't like to see someone trying to put down people like Highbeam who has a great philosophy and the right tools for his job. And what about those fellows who happen to live in town or in a subdivision. Should they also own a nice tractor and a huge saw when they burn a cord or two of wood each year?

There is the key; the right tools for the job. If your idea is to win some contest, then go big for sure! Or if you want to do some cutting commercially (which I have done), then by all means get the right tool for the job. But in no way would I use the saws I used for logging when I'm not just cutting firewood. I am also a bit limited in what saws I can handle, thanks to an injury.

Do your thing, but don't try to build yourself up or run someone else down by scoffing at the tools they use. Do not forget, everyone has their own unique situation and have had different experiences.
You guys are still missing the point here. I'm not running anyone down at all. I'm only pointing out how many will heat with the best stove (tool) available that money can buy but cut their firewood with something less and then there are those that heat with much cheaper less attractive (in some eyes) stove but insist on the very best gear to cut it with. Living in town or not (if you cut your own wood) you need a chainsaw, and I find it amusing how different we are when it comes to these things. Don't you like to heat your home with the very best stove? And you see fit to spend your money there. Well there are others who heat with a 200.00CL special (AKA me for years) but cut the wood with top notch saws. We are all trying to accomplish the same results , heating or home with wood, but each has a different perspective where to spend money on what. For whatever reason , in the past , I couldn't justify buying a new wood stove but didn't have a problem buying saws. When I came here I noticed fancy cast iron and fancy soapstone stoves where the norm but most had very small homeowners saws in their sig line. And I thought isn't that interesting how people see thing differently. And I have pointed out in my area most heat with old steel stoves they have had for 30yrs but do have alot of equipment to saw and process the fuel.

wkpoor said:
Backwoods Savage said:
It is sort of like the fellows (and I have many friends who are into it) who like the big tractors and go to every tractor pull in the county and sometimes all within the state. If that is what turns them on, why not? Go for it! It is your dollars and you need some enjoyment. However, I just don't like to see someone trying to put down people like Highbeam who has a great philosophy and the right tools for his job. And what about those fellows who happen to live in town or in a subdivision. Should they also own a nice tractor and a huge saw when they burn a cord or two of wood each year?

There is the key; the right tools for the job. If your idea is to win some contest, then go big for sure! Or if you want to do some cutting commercially (which I have done), then by all means get the right tool for the job. But in no way would I use the saws I used for logging when I'm not just cutting firewood. I am also a bit limited in what saws I can handle, thanks to an injury.

Do your thing, but don't try to build yourself up or run someone else down by scoffing at the tools they use. Do not forget, everyone has their own unique situation and have had different experiences.
You guys are still missing the point here. I'm not running anyone down at all. I'm only pointing out how many will heat with the best stove (tool) available that money can buy but cut their firewood with something less and then there are those that heat with much cheaper less attractive (in some eyes) stove but insist on the very best gear to cut it with. Living in town or not (if you cut your own wood) you need a chainsaw, and I find it amusing how different we are when it comes to these things. Don't you like to heat your home with the very best stove? And you see fit to spend your money there. Well there are others who heat with a 200.00CL special (AKA me for years) but cut the wood with top notch saws. We are all trying to accomplish the same results , heating or home with wood, but each has a different perspective where to spend money on what. For whatever reason , in the past , I couldn't justify buying a new wood stove but didn't have a problem buying saws. When I came here I noticed fancy cast iron and fancy soapstone stoves where the norm but most had very small homeowners saws in their sig line. And I thought isn't that interesting how people see thing differently. And I have pointed out in my area most heat with old steel stoves they have had for 30yrs but do have alot of equipment to saw and process the fuel.

It does go hand in hand. I have a 12 cord a year furnace so does another guy I cut with, and 2 smoke dragons. 35+ cords a year. So if you dont have oneside of the coin you better have a very strong other side. 4-5 cords a year a 290 is an over kill in my book.

smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:
Backwoods Savage said:

It does go hand in hand. I have a 12 cord a year furnace so does another guy I cut with, and 2 smoke dragons. 35+ cords a year. So if you dont have oneside of the coin you better have a very strong other side. 4-5 cords a year a 290 is an over kill in my book.
If chainsaws aren't your hobby I agree and something like a Dolmar 5100 or MS361 is perfectly suited to that situation. I always error on the side of a prosaw. If a Hearthstone to heat your house isn't overkill than how can the right size prosaw be. heehe Thats a pro stove.

wkpoor said:
smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:
Backwoods Savage said:

If chainsaws aren't your hobby I agree and something like a Dolmar 5100 or MS361 is perfectly suited to that situation. I always error on the side of a prosaw. If a Hearthstone to heat your house isn't overkill than how can the right size prosaw be. heehe Thats a pro stove.

Me too....But I sure get the other side when I am running 3 cords behind. Mothers day not going to get anything done either. So if I could modd. out my splitter to go faster I would feel a little better...lol (and it does have everthing I can think of done to it) Running very strong!

Here I am running a tree service and can not get enough wood, I'm trying to scrounge but to no avail! I have many saws going days on end without cutting. I feel the same about getting wood as the OP does on the difference in stove and saws. Some have huge piles of wood, can get it all day all year, and they work at a regular career. I however own my own tree company and have a tuff time getting a steady flow of wood. :-/

i think you find this duality in almost anything...I dont own chainsaw, but I do own a lot of backpacking/camping gear...I have a $350 sleeping bag, that I stuff into a circa 1970 external frame pack I bought at a flea market for $3. I get laughed at by the "ultra lite" peeps, and the gear snobs... but I get all my stuff, and myself, where I'm going, in good time, and i have no complaints. Better I have the nice bag, than the nice pack IMO....cant sleep in my pack. One of my buddies has a $100 headlamp....$100 for a flashlight that straps to your forehead? To each their own, as long as you feel good about what you got and what your doing. One day, I will own a chainsaw, for fun, if for nothing else.

Delta-T said:
i think you find this duality in almost anything...I dont own chainsaw, but I do own a lot of backpacking/camping gear...I have a $350 sleeping bag, that I stuff into a circa 1970 external frame pack I bought at a flea market for $3. I get laughed at by the "ultra lite" peeps, and the gear snobs... but I get all my stuff, and myself, where I'm going, in good time, and i have no complaints. Better I have the nice bag, than the nice pack IMO....cant sleep in my pack. One of my buddies has a $100 headlamp....$100 for a flashlight that straps to your forehead? To each their own, as long as you feel good about what you got and what your doing. One day, I will own a chainsaw, for fun, if for nothing else.

What a 350.00 sleeping bag look like?

smokinjay said:
Delta-T said:

Just like my $80 -20*F one.

LoL, Delta. i hear ya, though. Last time I went packing I tossed my hundreds of dollars of equipment into the pack and for every meal I pulled out a penny stove made from v-8 cans. Never will go back to another cooking fuel now that I've switched to alcohol in my home-made stove. Dad rolled his eyes when I told him I didn't need his $120 collapsable stove for our last trip.

smokinjay said:
Delta-T said:

like a sleeping bag...truth be told, I didn't pay for it, was a gift, but knowing what I know now, I would have bought it. $350 is the price on the core of the bag too, its modular, the total system is $1000. I generally only use the core, 2 times I've used the whole system, its nice, but too bulky for most applications.

Delta-T said:
smokinjay said:
Delta-T said:

like a sleeping bag...truth be told, I didn't pay for it, was a gift, but knowing what I know now, I would have bought it. $350 is the price on the core of the bag too, its modular, the total system is $1000. I generally only use the core, 2 times I've used the whole system, its nice, but too bulky for most applications.

I camp very light out of my kayaks. Always wanted one of the cowboy type roll ups. Roll it out start the fire and be done with it!

smokinjay said:
Delta-T said:
smokinjay said:
Delta-T said:

I camp very light out of my kayaks. Always wanted one of the cowboy type roll ups. Roll it out start the fire and be done with it!

Pretty sure, around here anyways, they call that a wool blanket...the original ultra-lite...hat doubles as a bivy. I still put around in a canoe, one day maybe I'll do the kayak....its just hard to stand and pee in a kayak. maybe something like an outrigger? hmmm.

Delta-T said:
smokinjay said:
Delta-T said:
smokinjay said:
Delta-T said:

Pretty sure, around here anyways, they call that a wool blanket...the original ultra-lite...hat doubles as a bivy. I still put around in a canoe, one day maybe I'll do the kayak....its just hard to stand and pee in a kayak. maybe something like an outrigger? hmmm.

lol They have a new kayak out now where your on it standing up. Love to try it on some class 2-3 its just like surfing.

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
Just like my $80 -20*F one.

LoL, Delta. i hear ya, though. Last time I went packing I tossed my hundreds of dollars of equipment into the pack and for every meal I pulled out a penny stove made from v-8 cans. Never will go back to another cooking fuel now that I've switched to alcohol in my home-made stove. Dad rolled his eyes when I told him I didn't need his $120 collapsable stove for our last trip.

I've seen these type stoves made from tuna cans and soup cans and always wondered about their effectiveness. neat to hear of a real person doing it and liking it. I tend not to trust magazine articles and things like that. I did the "sierra stove" out of a coffee can and a battery powered computer keyboard vac...got ripping hot but was annoying to listen to. I like to keep it quiet, so I dont scare away the Chupakabra, or Bigfoot.

smokinjay said:
lol They have a new kayak out now where your on it standing up. Love to try it on some class 2-3 its just like surfing.

Ive seen pics of the Freedom Hawk 12....stand up, split rear outrigger...but its just so damn ugly...I mean U-G-L-Y, ugly, so I must pass. I've rafted most of the Class 5's round here. If I ever get a week to do it, there's a great WW kayak school I'd like to attend up north...take it to the next level.

Delta-T said:
smokinjay said:

Ive seen pics of the Freedom Hawk 12....stand up, split rear outrigger...but its just so damn ugly...I mean U-G-L-Y, ugly, so I must pass. I've rafted most of the Class 5's round here. If I ever get a week to do it, there's a great WW kayak school I'd like to attend up north...take it to the next level.

I have done that Awesome and scary at the same time.

Attachments

• 5735_102449779765037_100000000464379_68969_6589210_n.jpg
    5735_102449779765037_100000000464379_68969_6589210_n.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 196
  • kayak.jpg
    kayak.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 217
does it totally suck to drop in like that? I always imagined that if would hurt across the mid-section or the lower back. get yourself out this way jay, and i'll run the penobscot, or dead river with you!

Delta-T said:
does it totally suck to drop in like that? I always imagined that if would hurt across the mid-section or the lower back. get yourself out this way jay, and i'll run the penobscot, or dead river with you!

Does not hurt at all. Just stay tucked. Sounds like fun!

Considering what is in my signature, all I have to say is, "No comment." :lol:

wkpoor said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Please pardon me as perhaps I misunderstood when I read your post and then some following posts. It appeared that you were attempting to belittle some folks and although I took no offense towards myself I felt that I should perhaps answer for some others. I apologize if I took you wrong.

As for myself, as I've stated many times, I too have run the big saws and was even head sawyer at a mill. I no longer able to handle the big saws and for a while I had even a smaller saw that I have now! Not by choice but by necessity. I simply could not handle the weight of a bigger saw, again, due to an injury. Anyway, I have no problem with folks having different stoves and saws; if it works for them then it is good.

wendell said:
Considering what is in my signature, all I have to say is, "No comment." :lol:
Hahahahaeheelololll I like your sig line. You don't fit the mold at all.

Well, I've been trimming and limbing all day. using the wife's "new" 180C. Green chain. Cuts smooth. Calling it "Picco- Suave", say it slow. :coolsmirk:

:lol: Good one.Hope its more than a 'one-hit wonder'

Beetle-Kill said:
Well, I've been trimming and limbing all day. using the wife's "new" 180C. Green chain. Cuts smooth. Calling it "Picco- Suave", say it slow. :coolsmirk:

We have a guy on here that can make a 180 rock! Sweat Pouring.......Nice light saw. Our inside joke is if it ever blows up you can just wear it as a neckless.

Beetle-Kill said:
Calling it "Picco- Suave", say it slow. :coolsmirk:

Funny, my oldest son's name is Nicola, and we call him "Nico". His friend's all thought that was the coolest name, like Nicko McBrain, the drummer from Iron Maiden. They gave him the nickname "Nico-Suave". He also just happens to be a drop-dead monster rock drummer himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.