Funny wood guy story

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfkiller

Burning Hunk
Feb 12, 2008
Salcha alaska
I ran into a guy at the grocery store that told me he had seasoned birch for 200 a cord. I told him I would take 2 cords as that is a great price. He came to my house with a short bed PU full of nice looking splits. He then explained that he has a 1 ton with a 4 x 8 x 8 bed but it was broke down. (side note, His short bed had a well stacked 4x2x6 load in it). He then told me that he figured it would be about 3 and 1/2 loads in his short bed to make a cord. Then he said he didn't like hauling 1/2 loads so he would bring 4. He then hoped in his truck with the load still in it and left. I had to return to work that day so I kind of blew off the wood guy as a moron. As i got home I saw a nice pile of wood. My wife told me he had pulled in and unloaded 8 good loads of wood and never came up to the house. The next day he came by and asked for his $400. I politely explained that he had hauled 3+ cords to my house, paid him $600 and a few copper river red fillets. He left quite happy. For his sake I sure hope he gets his big truck fixed soon.

wolfkiller said:
I ran into a guy at the grocery store that told me he had seasoned birch for 200 a cord. I told him I would take 2 cords as that is a great price. He came to my house with a short bed PU full of nice looking splits. He then explained that he has a 1 ton with a 4 x 8 x 8 bed but it was broke down. (side note, His short bed had a well stacked 4x2x6 load in it). He then told me that he figured it would be about 3 and 1/2 loads in his short bed to make a cord. Then he said he didn't like hauling 1/2 loads so he would bring 4. He then hoped in his truck with the load still in it and left. I had to return to work that day so I kind of blew off the wood guy as a moron. As i got home I saw a nice pile of wood. My wife told me he had pulled in and unloaded 8 good loads of wood and never came up to the house. The next day he came by and asked for his $400. I politely explained that he had hauled 3+ cords to my house, paid him $600 and a few copper river red fillets. He left quite happy. For his sake I sure hope he gets his big truck fixed soon.

That is funny.

The new math.

Sounds like a nice guy. Hope he doesn't get taken advantage of.

Sooo, is the Birch well seasoned?

$200 a cord for cut, split, seasoned, hardwood delivered in Alaska! Tell the guy that paid $400 for tree length green Pine and was shorted a cord.

yes it was well seasoned. I usually cut my own wood but could not pass up this deal. There is a lot of areas to cut wood here. There has ben a lot of guoging sence the fuel price hike. It is easy to get 250 - 300 a cord for green birch. I almost wish I didnt have such a good job, I could easily make 500-600 a day cuting wood. A lot of outdoor wood burners have ben installed recently and most believe they burn green wood better than dry. Very few gassifiers for sale or installed around here. I was going to purchase a good gassifing boiler but decided to go with the big ugly blaze king classic insted. I couldnt be happier.

A little off topic here Wolfkiller . . . but I've been up your way before. Stopped at the local North Pole tourist trap store and ended up getting a T-shirt from the fire station down the road a piece . . . still have and wear that T-shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.