Furnace cement application. Am I overthinking it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Hi, My insert is installed and connected to the liner, I just need to apply furnace cement according to manual at the stove /liner joint. I've bought regular furnace cement at Lowes. The instruction says remove paint ,oil, grease before application. Use wire brush" . I'm probably just being paranoid . Do I have to remove all black paint from the stove at the place of connection or just loose paint if I have it?

Anything loose or dirty. The cement may bond just fine to the paint - the important part is then the paint needs to be well bonded to the surface. Its the whole "weak link" argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.