Furnace possible got too hot today, am I just being paranoid?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler-king

Nov 18, 2015
Newfoundland
Sorry if this is long... just want to ease my mind so throwing out all the info I know!

I'm always the run to manage the furnace. The wife however, is not used to running it. I always tell her to burn small hot fires but she seems to overdo it sometimes when she manages it. So, I was gone this morning hunting, so she lit and managed the fire this morning around 7:30am. I came back around 12pm and checked the stove to see if it needed any wood added. I opened it up and it looked like it got too hot... I don't know how to explain it... but the metal bar that holds the brick in place around the furnace as well as on the back of the furnace door had this like white dusty look to it. It just looked different than normal.

I asked her what she threw in and she said she threw in two (~5" wide) logs of birch (with full bark on it) after the coals were going good and she said she noticed the vents were blowing out heat for a long continuous time.

I walked outside to take a look too and noticed my stainless steel chimney cap had this blueish and brown tint on one side of it. I researched this on Google and it turns out to be perfectly normal? That it might've been the cause of the flue being really hot.

My chimney goes through the middle of my house, its all brick with a liner inside which was swept first week of September before I began burning. So for curious-ness I also opened the door at the bottom of my chimney where I'd collect the nasties after sweeping. I only noticed a thin layer of dust at the bottom. The pipe going from furnace to chimney also looked normal too.

I asked my neighbour about the whole thing and he thinks the furnace just got really hot from the birch my wife threw in, and theres nothing to be alarmed about if everything looks ok... he said it probably cleaned out some creosote from my chimney if anything.

I'm thinking she set the thermosat temp too high (which opens the draft flap on the furnace door), so it didn't close until it got to temp she set, she threw the two dry full-bark birch in and the birch was probably burning way too hot. Everything seems ok... I'm just wondering should I be worried about anything? From what I hear its just a over-heat mishap.

What kind of furnace is this that you think overfired?

It's a Newmac WD100 (modified to use an automatic draft instead of a fan), all new brick inside with the required amount of sand at the bottom. I've had The fire going since noticing the blueish brown stain at the tip of the cap, and everything seems normal from what I can tell :/

Unless theres warped metal somewhere, I would say its fine.

That's fairly normal, a couple sticks of birch would never get that hot. We used to load ours full of hard maple.
Maybe you have not been burning it hot enough?

I've had experience with two different Newmacs and learned early on that the only way to burn them was to add two sticks at a time. Both were more or less a fire out of control because of the poor draft controls. If you weren't careful you could easily over fire these units. Fill the firebox and it was gone in an hour. These units were over fired on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.