furniture and a wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drumaz

Jul 23, 2008
NW CT
Will furniture get ruined if it's the same room as the stove? I'm talking about 35 year old dining room set that was left to me by my grandmother. It's made of some sort of fruit wood and it has a veneer on it. Full table, 6 chairs, Giant China hutch and a butler station. The stove (Jotul F600) is being installed in this room that is currently our formal dining room. It's the only logical room for the install. so.... can it get "ruined" or dry out more than it is??? a family member is concerned about it. I have a possible option of switching furniture in 2 rooms. The "dining" room could be switched with the living room. Neither room gets used very much but I'm thinking it would be better to have leather sofas in the room with the stove as opposed to a dining room. More comfy and more fire enjoyment... Not sure the couches will make it through the doorways though.. eeeeeesh..

All in the name of HEAT!!!

Drumaz said:
Will furniture get ruined if it's the same room as the stove? I'm talking about 35 year old dining room set that was left to me by my grandmother. It's made of some sort of fruit wood and it has a veneer on it. Full table, 6 chairs, Giant China hutch and a butler station. The stove (Jotul F600) is being installed in this room that is currently our formal dining room. It's the only logical room for the install. so.... can it get "ruined" or dry out more than it is??? a family member is concerned about it. I have a possible option of switching furniture in 2 rooms. The "dining" room could be switched with the living room. Neither room gets used very much but I'm thinking it would be better to have leather sofas in the room with the stove as opposed to a dining room. More comfy and more fire enjoyment... Not sure the couches will make it through the doorways though.. eeeeeesh..

keep the humity where it needs to be(thats with all heat)

Hearth shops have these decorative pots that'll hold water on your stove...get one of them and you won't have to worry about the furniture drying out. I suppose that it's possible a veneered surface could separate under sever drying conditions.

My last place I had to shave 1/16 inch off the new all-solid-wood front door three times during the Summer so that it would close.
If not for the gasket, I could almost stick my finger through the gap in February. Welcome to New England.
Even without a stove.

Pot of water on the stove
and/or a humidifier.

Real wood furniture takes a beating in New England in any house.

I find that in a pinch when you run out of wood that furniture burns very nicely. Tends to burn quick because of all the glue in it and especially the old stuff you speak of because it is very dry. If it is cheap furniture watch out for nails when cutting it up because it ruins your saw blades.

Drumaz said:

I`m thinking that if everyone in that household gets worked into a big enough sweat about the furniture, there will be enough heat without a stove. :lol:

Anything you use, regardless of the fuel consumed in the process, to warm the air inside your home will simultaneously decrease the relative humidity of that air (make the air dryer). Typically in your CT winter, the ambient relative humidity is lower than in summer, anyway. Wood expands and contracts with these annual cycles of airborne moisture...thus the infamous "nail pops" in older construction walls and ceilings, and the door fit fluctuations billb3 talked about. You can use a humidifier, or you can keep a pot of water atop your stove (remember to check it regularly, as the water will evaporate into the air exactly as you intended when you put it there). Or, you can do nothing. Household furnishings and sources of winter warmth have peacefully coexisted for centuries. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.