Furniture, Fire protection?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IIFAST4U

Feb 27, 2008
Western, RI
OK so I have my couch about 13" from the side of my stove. It was closer about 4" and was getting too hot. The side still gets warm and I am concerned it could catch fire. I have had the stove on every night for a week now and occasionally on cold days. So far nothing other than the couch getting hot on the side. I don't want the material to get so dry that it catches.

So my idea is to make a small end table with a ceramic or stone side facing the stove to reflect the heat. anyone have anything like this? I only want it to have a very narrow top enough for a soda can or coffee cup. and a full side with ceramic or stone tile. the total width I want to be just a few inches maybe having it slope a little with legs on the back. I am no carpenter by anymeans.

Any ideas? any craftsmen out there able to design something for me?

Thanks

Shawn

You could go with a lenght of 1x3 by 10' strapping for your framework &then;go to a tile place & look at their overstock or discontinued tiles . Put it on paper till it makes sense . You could then paint the frame work with a beautiful milk paint color which i could send you free of charge . I'd send you a color chart of which color you would like . Then send ya the paint, no strings attached ;-)

I have a few idea's and plenty of discount and closeout stores to get cheap tiles. I was also looking at fire proof sprays to apply to the couch. Not sure which way to go yet. with it on low like now it is now there is no problem. I am worried that in the dead of winter when we crank it to high what might happen.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.