Future Beech

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This beech is about 20 yards from the one I took today so if this next storm stays on the coast this will be next.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2522.jpg
    100_2522.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 214
Looks like a good one zap.

Backwoods Savage said:

Sav, any notch better than the other when felling a tree that might have a partially hollow base.

zap

Zap, I've always handled them the same. Just be extremely careful. I recall one time watching a friend cutting a bit tree, don't remember what type, but we could see it was hollowed out a lot by the looks of the sawdust. When the tree went, it went suddenly and the saw was still in the tree. The feller and the saw ended up about 15' behind the tree; yes, it threw him and he was a large man! I'll never forget that as I was just learning then. Still learning now.

zapny said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Sav, any notch better than the other when felling a tree that might have a partially hollow base.

zap
Zap, leave more hinge. Expect it to go sooner than usual, and be careful!

tfdchief said:
zapny said:
Backwoods Savage said:

zap
Zap, leave more hinge. Expect it to go sooner than usual, and be careful!

Thats a fact, I have to do a better job for sure.

Zap

Zap

I am always leery cutting a hollow or rotten tree. That 36" maple I cut two months ago had a hole rotten in the base. I cut it as high as I could get with the 2186 and 32" bar which was about 3' I made sure I had plenty of area to run in a few different directions. After it was down I could see about 6" of hinge around the outside was good and the rest just crumbled. I don't know if you were to hit it with a hammer and be able to tell if it is sound where you want to cut but you could try.

Billy

Jags said:
Stand to the side as much as possible and watch the back cut. At the first sign of motion - get out.

When the beech started to go I was gone. Looks like I'll be cutting a new trail along the side of that hill this spring, have some nice wood down on the sidehill that I need to get out.

The fifth picture in this post is the trail I'll clear.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/69229/

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.