Future cost of firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stejus, this would be a gravel hauling dump truck. The family up the road from us gets firewood from them and I've seen it go by here loaded. The wood will be green, but they do ask you what size and cut it to your lengths. They dump, you stack. If it will hold at least 2 cords, I guess that is reasonable. This is the land of wood here, with mountains full of logging to scrounge for free and most have a patch of their own trees. I'm thinking that is why the price is probably far less in this area.

We have a massive, and I mean massive, standing dead white oak about 100 yards into the woods. If we can get that cut up over Easter week, and I get this dump truck load, there may be hope for next winter! This winter is going to be tight because I have to reserve at least a couple/three weeks' worth of what's left in case of power outages.

CTZR1 said:
Selling it is a nice idea to recoup some of the cost but,
then you cut it, split it and stack it all nice and pretty. then watch it dry, and as you wipe you brough from all you labor you say " there is no way I am selling a stick, I am going to enjoy burning every piece".

great post

took the week off to work on next years wood... i live on a very quite street and three people stopped yesterday and asked me if i want to sell some - i may give the neihbor 1/2 cord for a case of sam adams as he offered to help me process but to everyone else "nope sorry not selling, just getting ready for the next few winters as i think it may be cold"

the only thing I have to say is thank god I own 50 acres of trees. No cost for me!

Adirondackwoodburner said:
the only thing I have to say is thank god I own 50 acres of trees. No cost for me!

0 cost? The taxes on the family camp near Speculator almost doubled year over year. However, 2 x 0 is technically still 0.

LONDONDERRY said:
So as spring starts to roll in, I assume everyone will be looking to buy firewood for next heating season. Last year I paid $165 per a cord for 4 cords delivered to my house. I say with the economy in the crapper, and gas and oil prices becoming lower the cost per a cord of wood will drop by 15-20%

What's your predictions on the cost per a cord of wood in the New England area? Up or down?

Frank

I spent $1000 this past winter for 5 cords.

Right now I have a ton of wood opportunities around me. I am picking up two cords for free, five+ cords (it could be as many as 8, the seller is willing to get rid of all his wood if I pick it up) for $200, and I just found someone selling rounds for $75 a cord and I will probably buy three cords or more. That is $425 for 10-13 cords (That is $33-$43 per cord!). Spring seems to be the best time to pick up wood.

well of course real estate taxes but its my house property anyways. I guess I could spend an additional $1000 for firewood if I didnt have the 50 acres already but that wouldnt make much sense. at least you are from NY, 90% of the psople up in Speculator are blue or yellowplaters now..hence the reason for your doubled taxes

well of course real estate taxes but its my house property anyways. I guess I could spend an additional $1000 for firewood if I didnt have the 50 acres already but that wouldnt make much sense. at least you are from NY, 90% of the psople up in Speculator are blue or yellowplaters now..hence the reason for your doubled taxes

My apologies for the property tax rant. No NYer needs to be reminded of it.

SolarAndWood said:

what % is it???
ours are outrageous (at least where i am) in mass

i'm at 14.35 per $1,000

:(

Try $22 / $1,000 here in NH.

iceman said:
SolarAndWood said:

what % is it???
ours are outrageous (at least where i am) in mass

Not sure what it works out to, I've never had a property in NY under 30/1000. The real problem is there are no good comps for the property and it has been in the family since the 30s. So, the argument is also % of what.

Personally I am not taking chances on prices dropping, I am cutting/splitting/piling 25 face cord this Spring . Prices per face cord split & delivered range from $70- $100. per. Not alot of $100 wood being sold right now for obvious reasons-$$, but alot more houses are going back to wood heat in my area and good wood goes fast.

J-Man said:
Try $22 / $1,000 here in NH.
We're the second or third highest in the state at $27/ $1000 and I only have 5.5 stinkin acres of hemlock, spruce, pine and some red maple. $5000 a year just to live in your house is getting to be a little much, but they keep telling us we have (NH) the lowest tax burden in the country - yeah that's cause all the homeowners carry the brunt of it. A trailer is looking better all the time, and easier to heat!

The 8 cords of solid oak I just finished splitting (I bartered work for- cost me my time) should help in the mix of things though, only 7 more cords of mixed hardwood to go and maybe I can get 3 years ahead.

you NH guys forget you hav no sales tax or income tax

Status
Not open for further replies.