Future project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Defiant

Vermont Castings Geek
Dec 5, 2007
Old Lyme CT
Just picked up this Vig and yes she will look and perform as new when I am done. Anyone have any refurbish secrets please chime in.

Attachments

• 100_2379.jpg
    100_2379.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 256
  • 100_2380.jpg
    100_2380.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 274
  • 100_2383.jpg
    100_2383.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 284
Looks pretty rough to me. I'm redoing a Resolute to sit in my hearth in the living room but it's not in nearly that bad of shape.

The only tip I can give is a wire wheel on the end of your drill is going to be your friend.

Looks pretty rough to me. I'm redoing a Resolute to sit in my hearth in the living room but it's not in nearly that bad of shape.

The only tip I can give is a wire wheel on the end of your drill is going to be your friend.

I was going to suggest something one step below a wirebrush, first and then the wire brush as a last resort.

A variable speed drill, and some red auto body rubbing compound might take most of the rust, oxidization and corrosion off the outside. But before you put any muscle into it, look at the pasts inside a figure out what needs to be replaced. You may have warped or completed melted parts that need replacing, and if that is the case, determine the cost of the parts, before you throw in a lot of labor.

Thanks guys, red auto body rubbing compound, sounds interesting might give that a try. I have all sorts of parts for vig's, this one has the two piece fireback that is in good shape despite the rust. This stove will require a complete teardown, some sandblasting, and lots of wire brushing with my angle grinder and brush attachments. I anticipate snapped bolts so I am sure some drilling and tapping are in order.:cool:

Looking forward to your Progress and updated pics in the future. Here is my subscription to this thread.

I love refurbs... Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.