1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
  1. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Just picked up this Vig and yes she will look and perform as new when I am done. Anyone have any refurbish secrets please chime in.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Snotrocket

Snotrocket Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Maine
    Looks pretty rough to me. I'm redoing a Resolute to sit in my hearth in the living room but it's not in nearly that bad of shape.

The only tip I can give is a wire wheel on the end of your drill is going to be your friend.
  3. Oldhippie

Oldhippie Minister of Fire

I was going to suggest something one step below a wirebrush, first and then the wire brush as a last resort.

A variable speed drill, and some red auto body rubbing compound might take most of the rust, oxidization and corrosion off the outside. But before you put any muscle into it, look at the pasts inside a figure out what needs to be replaced. You may have warped or completed melted parts that need replacing, and if that is the case, determine the cost of the parts, before you throw in a lot of labor.
  4. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Thanks guys, red auto body rubbing compound, sounds interesting might give that a try. I have all sorts of parts for vig's, this one has the two piece fireback that is in good shape despite the rust. This stove will require a complete teardown, some sandblasting, and lots of wire brushing with my angle grinder and brush attachments. I anticipate snapped bolts so I am sure some drilling and tapping are in order.:cool:
  5. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Looking forward to your Progress and updated pics in the future. Here is my subscription to this thread.

I love refurbs... Good luck.
  6. Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Member

Loc:
    Hoosierland
    Wow, I'm so glad to see somebody with a project as rough (or rougher) than mine! That is a neat looking old stove!