Future room demo- installing fireplace- need advice on specifics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waterbird15

Sep 12, 2009
NH
We are about a week away from demo-ing our 12x16 living room in our 1000+ sq feet house. The living room is heated by our furnace (FHA) but doesnt get too warm because of its location on the far end of the house. When we are done with the room rebuild it will have insulation in all the walls and celing but not the floor and new windows. Three of the walls in the room are exterior walls and one is an inside wall. The inside wall has a chimney just under the plaster. This is the wall that we want to put the fireplace on. Because of the size of the room it is not realistic to put in a wood burning fireplace like we want so the idea is to put in a low profile propane fireplace on this wall and "maybe" vent up the old chimney within the wall. I realize that it would be super easy to go direct vent out one of the 3 exterior walls but we really dont want to do this because of room flow, windows, doorways, etc.
This fireplace will basically be used a few hours a night while we watch TV and not left on unattended for the most part. It would be nice if we could use it in power outages.

So the issue is which venting option do we go for. I recently read the post ---"Ventless or vented? Stove suggestion?"--- which I found very interesting considering I just read this on ventless ---http://www.fireplacesnow.com/VentingOptions.asp---.
Not to poke the turd again but after I read the link and then the previous post I am honestly really more comfortable with a vented system. The ventless would be an easy install for us in this situation but peace of mind is priceless to me. So unless someone can sway me completely towards the ventless direction I want to install a system that vents up the chimney we have on the interior wall.
We plan on going to a dealer soon but I want some expert opinions before we go in blind and dumb.

The question is: can we have a fireplace that ties into a chimney like I described or do the "top vented" need to be installed into a fireplace?
Also, we will definitly have the chimney lined to the top to keep any fumes out from leaking into the house but are there any other considerations chimney/ vent wise?
And/Or, is my plan feasable at all considering my set up?

Suggestions??

thanks!

Franks said:
There are kits that will allow you to hook a bvent or direct vent fp to a masonry chimney.

Yes, there are, but make sure the installation manual shows that this is permitted with the particular unit you are installing.
Regency gas fireplaces are apporoved for this type of venting. Heat n Glo aren't, to my knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.