FW240007 Blower and air intake kit needed...I think.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2007
Hello guys! Well, the time is coming again for me to fire up my stove. This last winter was my first winter with a wood burning stove and I sure was happy. I got a basic century stove model # FW240007. I have 2 questions about "ungrading" my stove with accessories.

1) I don't have the blower attachment but wonder if I need it. I have used the search function and have heard a lot of people comment how it is a great option to have. I wonder if I need it because about 6 feet over and up from my stove is a large ceiling fan for our living room. Would I be better served to use this on low or set the blower attachment up?

2) Outside air kit. I'm looking for this as it appears I have an outside air intake attachment on the back of my stove right above the blower hole. Now, if you look at the pic you will see part of my delimma. I have to make a hole in the "new" stove wall I have. Depending on the size of the intake duct needed, that may be an easy fix. What I wonder if I do it is this. On the other side of that stone wall is the old chimney chase that is insulated, all be it rather crappy old fiberglass insulation. There is a small vent in this chase. I wonder if taking the air from the chase is acceptable since it has it's own fresh air intake by having that vent? Also, does it matter if the fresh air intake is preheated or not? I've read some people are concerned about cooling down the stove too much and having the air come into the chase that is somewhat heated by the stove pipe, then go into the stove might eliminate this problem?

I know century is OOB, and their website officially expired about 2 weeks ago according to godaddy.com that is "holding" it.

If anyone has any feedback on this situation that would be great! Thanks in advance and have a good day.

Attachments

• stove face (Medium).JPG
    stove face (Medium).JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,236
  • back of stove (Medium).JPG
    back of stove (Medium).JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 807
I have a Century and just love it the way it is. Blowers are noisy and add to your electric bill. I would rather use a small electric heater in some cold corner of the house than blowers and ceiling fans.

Chettt said:
I have a Century and just love it the way it is. Blowers are noisy and add to your electric bill. I would rather use a small electric heater in some cold corner of the house than blowers and ceiling fans.

I think thats a valid point, but a blower would use much less electricity that having my heat pump have to come on. I would like to not have to use it as it's not cheap and it does use electricity, but I wonder how much of a difference it would make over my ceiling fan.

What do you think about the air intake?

Thanks for your reply.

the upper opening is for combustion air, the lower for blower. ceiling fans probably best option as they have poor convective chambers...

not all century models are mobile home approved, and therefore have no outside air connection.

i think yours does though, it comes in thru a hole in the bottom of the pedistal if i recall
i just checked, the 247001 is mh approved. the fw270007 isn't,

so no outside air option exists for your stove.

If you decide you want the blower, the part number for it is in the info sheet you got with the stove. I've seen them on eBay. I don't have a blower on my Century, but it's in a small shop and I do use a ceiling fan to destratify and distribute the air. Works like a charm. Ceiling fan uses very little power and is essentially silent. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.